Need app for easy entry of standard text phrases

FrankH

Reaction score
As a long time former Palm Treo user, I miss the quick text string in the texting App and Shortcut5 for all text entry fields. Is there an App for that?

The way Shortcut5 worked was to type a period followed by 1 or 2 characters which it would then replace with the text string you predefined.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Handcent SMS has a Quick Text setting which I think does what you want. I have never tried it though.

OP
F

FrankH

Reaction score
Handcent SMS has a Quick Text setting which I think does what you want. I have never tried it though.

Thanks, I will check that out, but I still would like an app that would work for any text field. Maybe a keyboard app would be the logical place to have a text substitution capability - maybe a keyboard app developer can add this feature? Is there a forum to ask developers for features?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Applications section of the forums here :) There's developers coming through.

Jer

Reaction score
I too would like this for any text field because the place I need an auto text adder is in emails and PM replies for forums. I use the same couple of paragraphs multiple times and would LOVE an app or something that allowed me to use that same set of text for both email and internet browser.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
+1 for Handcent.

It's far better than the installed messaging app.

fraze

Reaction score
I like the functionality of Handcent but like the stock app's look. Any way to make Handcent look like the stock app as far as the GUI?

LordKastle

Reaction score
you mean changing the conversation setting to Android rather than the default bubble?

CyBuzz

Reaction score
Try ClipStore.

You can 'register' text and use it anywhere you can paste text.

I have found you need to have it in your recent apps to take advantage of it though. Otherwise you need to go open clipstore, then go back to your app.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Another vote for Handcent. I just installed it today. My favorite feature is Quick Voice Reply. No hand-jamming simple entries. Just talk into it. Awesome!:icon_ banana:

alex1moss7

Reaction score
How 'bout inserting a datestamp / timestamp? I mostly need to do this in memos, where I want to record the date and/or time when I wrote it. Thanks.