Need answers about Upgrade policy and switching data plans!

K.Monami

Reaction score
Hi I am new here and was hoping someone could help answers my questions about dealing with my phone(s). So I have had a Droid X for two or so months now, and the data plan is beginning to get overwhelming. I have however, been a long time Verizon customer, and this year, within a month or two, is my next upgrade. I know since I have an upgrade due and I already have a droid, I can get the latest and greatest model, cheap; say for instance, the DROID Charge, for a discounted upgrade price. Now, I was planning to switch back to a dumb phone this same month cause i couldn't handle it, but then that upgrade idea hit me. So I was thinking... I guess if i wait it out until i get my new phone, I can switch from that new one to a dumb phone and then have two droids at my disposal to sell, perhaps make a pretty penny. I don't know how much of "abusing the system" that is, but I'd like to think I earned that phone, and shouldnt get the possibility of getting a sweet new droid taken away cause I cant handle paying for this same internet plan for another year. that being said, is there anything keeping me from doing what I want to do, to get that phone, sell the two, and walk away with a normal plan the month after? I heard someone say they'd want the phone back if I cancel data plan right after I buy my upgrade; that honestly sounds outlandish... Isn't the phone my physical property after I buy it? The piece doesn't belong to verizon. But outside of that far-fetched idea...what's the catch? Can I do this? are there safeguards set in place that anyone really knows of that would stop just anybody from doing this? I'm not trying to screw the system or anything... I just can't handle the plan for another year, but at the same time don't think I should have to get a quality upgraded spoiled because of it. Thanks a bunch!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You should be able to downgrade without any penalty fee.

What I'm not sure is if once you get the new phone and then opt out of the data service is whether the ESN on the phone stays clean or not. If it's not clean, then selling it would be tough to do.

googlelover

Reaction score
As far as Verizon is concerned you can do whatever you want with the phone after you buy it as long as you don't cancel your plan. The esn will not go bad after you take the phone off the plan.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As far as Verizon is concerned you can do whatever you want with the phone after you buy it as long as you don't cancel your plan. The esn will not go bad after you take the phone off the plan.

Thanks for giving a better answer, wasn't too sure how the esn thing works. It has to be reported stolen or lost to become a bad esn, right?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
When you get the new "upgrade" you are signing a two year agreement to whatever plan that phone requires. It requires a data plan ......if you cancel that plan and swap to a dumb phone you will pay a $350 Early Termination Fee.

googlelover

Reaction score
When you get the new "upgrade" you are signing a two year agreement to whatever plan that phone requires. It requires a data plan ......if you cancel that plan and swap to a dumb phone you will pay a $350 Early Termination Fee.
Really? Because my brother was in a 2 year contract with his Eris when he dropped it in a river, we activated a dumbphone (no data plan) and we didn't get charged a penny, left it on the plan for a few months before we realized his battery just died and not the phone