1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need advice for installing Custom Rom Droid 1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by slick70, Sep 24, 2010.

1. slick70

slick70 New Member

Greetings Everyone, I have a Droid1 Rooted with Easy Root. I manually upgraded to Froyo 2.2 when that came out. When Moto/verizon sent out the 2.2 upgrade (OTA 1.6 mb), I never "upgraded" after reading that I would lose my root so I have been pressing "Install later" every time I receive the prompt to update. I have read that If I install a custom rom the prompt will stop and make my droid even better. I downloaded Rom Manager Premium and Titanium back up and a few other rooted only apps! My question is do I need anything other than ROM Manager to get a custom Rom? Is it true that I can do everything I want to do with my rooted Dorid 1 and Rom Manager and that I do NOT need to use a PC to install a Custom Rom like CynogenMod or bluegrass beast??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am new but learning.
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

Hi Slick! :welcome: to the forum! I really don't know how to respond to you because I see so many threads where rooting via easyroot and using rom manager can easily put your droid into a bootloop. If i were you I would do the following:

Open rom manager and hit the install alternate recovery (Sprecovery)

Do it again.
    Do it again.
    Do it again.

No I'm not kidding. There's some kind of bug that if you don't do this....it will put some droids into a bootloop.

Anyway, after you have Sprecovery on your droid the first thing you need to do is create a backup. This is a MUST before you do ANYTHING to your droid.
    Here are step by step instructions:

Boot your phone into recovery. (Power off your phone then slide open your keyboard and hold down on the X then hold the power button until the M logo appears)

Scroll down to backup/restore – hit the gold key on your physical keyboard

I prefer doing an Advanced Nandroid backup. Scroll down to Advanced Nandroid backup – hit the gold key.

You’ll be on “Set backup name” hit the gold key and type in a name (In this case I'd name it Stock root) then hit the return key.

Scroll to Perform backup and hit the gold key.

After it says done hit your power button to get back to the main menu. Voila! You now have a backup just in case you jack up your droid :D

Then you'll need to pick a rom. After you've found the one you'd like to try, report back and I'll help you through the rest of the process. Currently I am running UD8.0 and I know this rom will allow you to install the ota which sprecovery will then block. After that you won't get the notification anymore.

3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Well Cakes, for someone that didn't know how to answer the question you sure "knocked it out of the park". Great answer!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

Why thank you kind Sir !!! :D
Search tags for this page

installing custom rom droid 1