Need a Touch Screen Cell Phone With a Screen that Can Be Sceen on a Bright Clear Day

KCav

Reaction score
Love my DROID except when I look at the screen on a bright clear day and see my reflection, and realize that it is this awareness that is really me. Here is an idea about how to solve this problem: (1) Place the DROID in a Motorol Multimedia Station and leave it there. (2) Add a second wireless telephone that does not have the glare problem the DROID has and forward phone calls to it. I feel the value of reliable, efficent communications is worth the differential cost between two wireless lines and one line less the cost of a landline no longer needed. The differential cost estimate I made is about $10 per month. What touch screen cell phone should I buy for use outside on a bright clear day is a question on my mind, can someone help me?

KC

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm guessing you need a Verizon cell phone. I'd go to the store and bring them all outside on a nice sunny day and see which one works the best for you.

edit: except for the cable that prevents folks from taking phones out of the store. Bring a really bright light into the store with you.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you need a Verizon cell phone. I'd go to the store and bring them all outside on a nice sunny day and see which one works the best for you.

edit: except for the cable that prevents folks from taking phones out of the store. Bring a really bright light into the store with you.

That's pretty brilliant. But that would make this thread unnecessary.

Anyway there really isn't such a thing as a cell phone anymore. They are wireless digital phones now. So the OP needs a wireless phone that they can see in bright sunlight.

Doesnt the incredible do that?

OP
KCav

KCav

Reaction score
Haven't yet confirmed but suspect that DROID/ANDROID technology simply works except when a touch screen acts like a mirror on clear bright day. And touch screens built the same will work the same way. The issue is what can be done to produce a touch screen that over comes this problem.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That's pretty brilliant. But that would make this thread unnecessary.

Anyway there really isn't such a thing as a cell phone anymore. They are wireless digital phones now. So the OP needs a wireless phone that they can see in bright sunlight.

Doesnt the incredible do that?

I know two people with Incredibles. Never used them outside, but they were fine inside. I still think the store would be able to find a way to let folks test a phone for glare. I've got a feeling that the touchscreen, being made of glass, is always going to be pretty reflective.

Anyone with one single phone is going to have problems comparing their phone to another. No way to know if one has less glare than another.

(Sits back and waits for a multiphone owner to come along)

REMilk

Reaction score
I suggest that you make that when you are outside, you set your screen brightness to 100%.

This will not eliminate the problem, but you may be able to see the screen better.

I keep the screen brightness on my Droid 1 at 25% to conserve the battery. I use a brightness widget for one-touch switching between my set 25% and 100%.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Bob

xliderider

Reaction score
I like the fact that the flat glass display can be used as a mirror, in a pinch, I use it all the time at work to see stuff that is out of my line of sight. ;)

When outside, do as suggested, raise your screen brightness to max and then hold the display slightly off axis so the reflection/glare from the sun isn't directed right back at you.

The only time I have a hard time seeing my D1's screen out in bright sun, is if I have my screen brightness low, AND I'm wearing sunglasses. :cool:

th9203

Reaction score
One other little thing that makes a major differernce:
Keep the screen clean. The cleaner the better. dancedroid

Troops2990

Reaction score
You could try a non-glare or a glare reducing screen protector.