Need a 'silent' ringtone

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
I've tried a search but haven't found what I need.

My sister just bought a D2 and wants to set the ringtone for certain contacts to "silence"... I have a DX and I don't seem to have a selectable ringtone that is basically "no ring" or "silence". How would she accomplish this? On my DX I can select music or android ringtones... so I guess if I could record silence as a song and then select that for my ringtone that is one way around it... but I'm relatively new to the Android system and my sister is extremely new to it... and lives in another city so I'd have to figure out how to walk her through it over the phone!!!

Would be nice if her D2 allowed her to simply select a silent ringtone (or no ringtone) on a contact by contact basis.

thoughts?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Droid and never thought about using a silent ringtone. I just checked and there is not a silent ringtone. I can do vibrate, however.

OP
M

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
thanks, it never dawned on me either...

are you saying you can set a specific contact to "vibrate only" while allowing other calls to come through with an actual ringtone? I did see on my DX that for a specific contact I can select it to go straight to vmail....

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a thought but it might take some digging on your part, there is an app called ringdroid that lets you make ringtones out of your MP3 files, rename it what you like (in this case...silence) and then it saves it in a file on your SD card and enables you to access it through the "Drop Down" list of ringtones alongside your system ringtones

Now the hard part is to find one of those CD's that has a blank track on it...if you can, you will be golden just get the blank track to your SD and make your ringtone

You could always record a short clip while trying to be quiet, but MP3 quality is always the best

Good Luck

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here, easy stuff.....put it in a folder entitled ringtones that is inside of a folder named media on your SD card

OP
M

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
Yep, I've thought of recording silence or using that app to record silence (I even have a Fergie song that has a long silence that could be used)... but again this is a bit technical for me and trying to do it for my sister (over the phone!) is yet another technical hurdle that I'd rather not have to jump...

other ideas? I've been searching the Market for a silent ringtone but no luck yet...

DreamOperator

Reaction score
Cool idea!

I could create a silent mp3 for you. I'll post one in about five hours, unless someone else does it first.

OSX2000

Reaction score
Does the Droid X have an option to send calls from a particular contact directly to voicemail? What better way to ignore calls then to have your phone ignore them for you? :)

OP
M

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
tparker... much thanks!!!! I took that and dropped it on my SD card, set it as my ringtone for a specific contact and it worked!!!

thx!

sachst

Reaction score
Download Smart Silencer

Download Smart Silencer it allows you to manage who can ring through and not. It's on the android and amazon markets.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Does the Droid X have an option to send calls from a particular contact directly to voicemail? What better way to ignore calls then to have your phone ignore them for you? :)
Yes it does...and it works wonderfully. I use this in conjunction with a contact I have named "Telemarketer Ignore". Once I get a call from a telemarketer, I add that number to the existing contact which is then sent directly to voicemail...:)