Need a recommendation for backup software.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I was using MyBackup pro until I got the 4.4.2 upgrade today and discovered (a) I couldn't restore an app that wasn't working and (b) could restore one (or two) chosen app at all. You can only restore all of it or none of it. As it turns out, I couldn't restore any of it so I'm looking for another app to takes it's place. I just want it to do something really simple - backup chosen apps/date/contacts/etc. and restore them. Not rocket science I know. I don't want any cloud or google or Verizon backup...just to the SD card or internal.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The one hangup in your statement is the data part. I use several apps that back up apps that can be individually restored, (unless they are locked apps and there are a few of those around). One, TruBackup, and another called Helium can do the apps and contacts. I have one specifically for phone contacts. If you want the app's associated data to be backed up, not just the media you will need to be rooted.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
If you want the app's associated data to be backed up, not just the media you will need to be rooted.

But graphics and videos are "associated", no? Associated with the camera app (I guess). But thanks for those recommendations. I'll try them out tonight. Much appreciated.
DO you use the paid versions of either or both?

Last edited:
OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Well, TruBackup was a bust. I installed it and tried backing up contacts, then media, then photos and each time it stopped and gave me an error message saying "File creation failed". It did that each time. Back to the drawing board.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Just tried Helium and it seems to need to back up to the computer. That won't work for me.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
But graphics and videos are "associated", no? Associated with the camera app (I guess). But thanks for those recommendations. I'll try them out tonight. Much appreciated.
DO you use the paid versions of either or both?

No, graphics photos and videos and photos are not generally associated with a specific app. That would be like mail data, game data and the settings for the apps. I'm surprised TruBackup didn't work. It has backed up more "stuff" than any other not rooted app has,.

For the photos and videos I suggest DropBox and/or a copy on your PC or an SD card. Try to make anything that's on the phone a copy that is also somewhere else.

Last edited: