Need a new virtual keyboard

DC4MVP

Reaction score
I've had my Droid since the middle of December and I STILL suck at typing with the default/stock virtual keyboard.

I'm getting fed up with screwing up every other word. So, what's a good (yet free) aftermarket virtual keyboard that has larger keys than the stock/default?

armeddroid

Reaction score
HTC IME KEYBOARD
SLIDE IT (swiping keyboard)
SHAPEWRITER (swiping keyboard)
SWYPE (in beta may not be able to get it)
BETTEREKEYBOARD

I use the HTC IME keyboard.
DO a search on these forums for the HTC KEYBOARD and grab the APK file from there.
:]

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another +1 for HTC IME keyboard. Best standard keyboard, hands down. Swype is great if you want to try a while new method of typing. Both cannot be downloaded from the market. You can find links for both on this forum.

rickt1152

Reaction score
Htc ime

I just recently installed the HTC IME keyboard and it solved the one and only thing I missed from my BB Storm which was the Suretype keyboard in portrait mode. I had been switching back and forth between the stock keyboard which is ok, just too small in portrait mode and Swype which I found a little faster but could sometimes be frustrating to use. Well the combination of the large keys and good predictive text of the HTC IME in the suretype mode is great. No more slow typing to be precise like with the stock keyboard. Easy to use while driving (scratch that), easy to use while walking where it is generally tough to be real accurate with your keypresses. I highly recommend you give this a try.

This link can be accessed directly from Droid with install instructions and download links for the two necessary files.

new htc ime keyboard for motorola droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

OP
D

DC4MVP

Reaction score
I love the HTC IME keyboard. I made my own and customized it to go with my favorite sports team, the Minnesota Twins.

I wanna try Sywpe but I can't find a Droid download to save my life.

Found one for an Eris but it doesn't work on Droid due to screen size or something.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Swiftkey blows them all away. The prediction of the next works speeds you up incredibly fast.

Search for the download link... it's in beta.

dgonz

Reaction score
I'd been using the HTC IME keyboard but it couldn't keep up. I needed a sensitive, fast keyboard that could keep up with me. For me Smart Keyboard Pro was the best one. I bought it a long time ago and wasn't impressed, but with a number of updates since I last tried I'm really impressed. A big problem with all the android keyboards for me was that the keys directly touched eachother so I was contantly hitting incorrect keys. Smart Keyboard pro has an iphone keyboard theme (flame away if you must) and I think the biggest improvement is that the keys don't touch, they're smaller yes, but the little bit of space between them was a huge plus for me....just somethin to think about. Try them all and see what works best for you.

DroidHoff

Reaction score
I love the HTC IME keyboard. I made my own and customized it to go with my favorite sports team, the Minnesota Twins.

Found one for an Eris but it doesn't work on Droid due to screen size or something.

If you still want to try swype I can pull the apk from my phone. I'm not sure which version it is. I know some versions really sucked but I've kept this one because its become very very accurate! pm me and I will send it to ya!

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i use swype, i was hesitant at first and hated it, then after forcing myself to use it, i hate the stock one.

akstyle450

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Current Phone Model
pixel xl

If you still want to try swype I can pull the apk from my phone. I'm not sure which version it is. I know some versions really sucked but I've kept this one because its become very very accurate! pm me and I will send it to ya!
i still have the .apk of it on my droid :p
pm me if you would like it