Need a new phone model suggestion

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I would think that if your Droid Razr Maxx worked on that network then a Droid Turbo (or 2) would also. I could be wrong, but I don't think Moto has changed the bands & frequencies much over the past few years in the Droid branded phones. Checking the website TisMyDroid mentioned and double checking with your carrier customer support are both good ideas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I just tried my son's Verizon Turbo 2 IMEI # on that TracFone site and it is compatible and capable of being activated. I checked my Note 5's IMEI # and my N5 is not.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
@TraceDroid I don't know if you found a phone yet, but one that caught my eye is an Amazon Prime deal for a Moto E, $99 (with ads on the lockscreen...it's an extra $20 or $30 without the ads). It may be worth a look.

Really though, the only reason I was looking at this model particular model was 1) it was cheap and 2) all I want it for is to use it as an audio player, since it has an SD card slot. I already have an Audioquest Dragonfly Black to use as a DAC and headphone amp, and I can easily listen to music on my phone or tablet (my trusty Nexus 5) at home from the DLNA server. (It has an advanced USB audio driver that allows high resolution digital to be played.) I could also get a dedicated "high-res" player but the FiiO X5 or X7 (which are Android powered) do not get very good reviews. That is why I thought if I could find a more modern phone with an SD card slot, I could use that with my preferred app and the Dragonfly for far less money. I haven't decided if I'll bite on it yet, but I don't know if the deal extends beyond Prime Day. Tempting!

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
That's a sweet deal on a very good mid-range phone @WildcatRudy ! Thanks for sharing.
Seems to be a decent phone, although I have not compared. I wondered if it could be rooted, but Amazon may have it locked...not sure. Even at $129 without the ads, it is a good price for Prime members.

I'm torn, as I want to get a spare Nexus phone (like the 5X) due to an upcoming trip to keep in the car for data, and need something compatible with Project Fi. I can't see myself buying two phones, although stranger things have happened. ;)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into the Motorola Turbo?.... We had several members who used it for some time...

Still using mine and see absolutely nothing that interest me in an upgrade - probably going to ride this another year or two.

Of course, I'm rooted and unlocked and running the latest 7.0??? whatever android version. If you get one new in the box, you most likely can root and unlock if you are careful. Otherwise, VZW did push a 6.0 update.

Great phone. Had it nearly 3 years without a case - dropped it many times and nary a scratch. Still gets great battery life. These days the radios and reception are pretty good. Very good speakerphone, so-so camera.

Rachael Alice

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo vibe k6
Turbo 2 is best model to buy .It has micro SD slot, larger screen and many more advance features.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Seems to be a decent phone, although I have not compared. I wondered if it could be rooted, but Amazon may have it locked...not sure. Even at $129 without the ads, it is a good price for Prime members.

I'm torn, as I want to get a spare Nexus phone (like the 5X) due to an upcoming trip to keep in the car for data, and need something compatible with Project Fi. I can't see myself buying two phones, although stranger things have happened. ;)
Just to update--I ended up getting a very lightly used Pixel XL. Can't believe how fast and smooth this operates compared to the Nexus 6 (which isn't really that outdated or slow--it still works well after I wiped and reloaded everything to get a fresh start).

For the "media thing," I can continue to use the Nexus 6. Rather than an SD slot, I have this little RAVPower FileHub+ that I can use with my existing SD cards or USB sticks. I just select the FileHub's WiFi connection and can then use USB Audio Player Pro (or BubbleUPnP) reading from a network share to access it. The FileHub can handle a lot of bandwidth--I loaned it out to family for a trip, and it streamed ripped 1080p movies to three devices without a single hiccup. It's a bit awkward for portable use since I have to carry the FileHub, but it's rare I'm away from home, car, bicycle or hotel where I would listen to headphones or earbuds (or a Bluetooth or WiFi speaker).