Need a Little Help With Swype Install

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got it located in Astro File Manager but I can't figure out how to install the darn thing. This is what I've done: Loaded the file, unzipped it and put on my desktop. Mounted my Droid moved file to Device Card. Went to applications, made sure unknown sources were check. Located the file on Astro.

I just don't see how to install. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
click on the file in astro and a popup will say browse file or open app manager. click open app manager then hit install:D

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
click on the file in astro and a popup will say browse file or open app manager. click open app manager then hit install:D

Corinacakes thank you. I swear I went there 50 times and did not see the install button but this time I hit open app manager and there was the install button. Easy as cake.

I knew I was just missing something somewhere. Now lets see if I like this.:)

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yur gonna like it hook :D let me tell you now some tricks so you dont get frustrated. to put an apostrophe in a word (use it's for example) swype i....t....swype down to the apostrophe then swype to the s. voila'! to capitalize a word.... hit the first letter of the word then swype way up till you see the keyboard letters switch to uppercase then continue swyping the rest of the word without releasing yur finger. any other questions just ask me. i really want you to like it:D yur one of my favs in here :D

EDIT: dont forget to go to settings....keyboard and check the box for swype:D

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yur gonna like it hook :D let me tell you now some tricks so you dont get frustrated. to put an apostrophe in a word (use it's for example) swype i....t....swype down to the apostrophe then swype to the s. voila'! to capitalize a word.... hit the first letter of the word then swype way up till you see the keyboard letters switch to uppercase then continue swyping the rest of the word without releasing yur finger. any other questions just ask me. i really want you to like it:D yur one of my favs in here :D

EDIT: dont forget to go to settings....keyboard and check the box for swype:D

Right now it's frustrating me a bit. I tried to do the caps the way you say but that makes more errors. I think I'll just hit the caps button first. Putting an apostrophe in I'm was darn near impossible, I had to say "I am."

Everybody says its great so I'll give it a chance at the very least.

Thanks for your kind words, it's appreciated. I like you too.

phreakaj

Reaction score
Has anyone else been curious about if a keyboard app needs to be over 9 mb's?? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but that made me wonder if it needed to be that big.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yeeeup just give it time i haven't seen anyone yet want to get rid of it after using it for awhile. i switched back like 2 hours after i installed it and found myself swyping the stock keyboard lol that's how fast it locks into yur brain so i went back to it and luv it

webby

Reaction score
Take the Swype tutorial (hold down the bottom left key with the wavy blue line in it) -- it will really help you with the learning curve. I have taken it two or three times now. I was making a lot of mistakes with the droid physical keyboard -- I had a G1 for a year, and did very well with that keyboard, but I guess my fingers are too fat for the close-together keys of the droid keyboard.

Now I use the Swype keyboard 100% of the tiime. I never use the physical keyboard. And I am getting faster with it as I use it more. It is very well designed and works very well. You just have to get thru the learning curve.

Scott Hanna

Reaction score
Agreed. Just been using it a few days and it is dramatically faster. The caps works very well once you know how.

I read the tips a lot too. Great tip yesterday...Once the word box comes up, the word on top will be used if you keep typing, no need to select it.

allikanbe

Reaction score
Anyway to only use Swype in portrait? And use the Android keyboard in landscape?
Long press in the Text window and choose input. I'm using Handcent if that makes a difference.
also, in Settings, Language and Keyboard you probably need both Android and Swype selected.

fdkatz

Reaction score
Suddenly Swype isn't working

Has this happened to others? Suddenly Swype doesn't read my swipes. In fact, it misreads it even when I am way careful. Have they thrown a spanner in the works? I don't think I have changed any of the parameters. I restored everything to default just to be sure. Damn, I was enjoying using it too.

JWJ

Reaction score
Has this happened to others? Suddenly Swype doesn't read my swipes. In fact, it misreads it even when I am way careful. Have they thrown a spanner in the works? I don't think I have changed any of the parameters. I restored everything to default just to be sure. Damn, I was enjoying using it too.

This has happened to me twice since I started using it. I was txting at the time so I closed Handcent, then just FC'd Swype in the apps manager. Went back into Handcent to send a txt and it worked fine.

bart7373

Reaction score
I am trying to install Swype. When I tap the file in astro manager I'm not getting an install box. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Technoman

Reaction score
Anyway to only use Swype in portrait? And use the Android keyboard in landscape?

The only way to do this is... do not make any keyboard your default, and have both check marked in your settings. When you go to do something in landscape mode, LONG PRESS on the text box and it will provide you the option to select what you want to use. It works fairly well to do it that way.

I have found that the phone will default to the last used keyboard the next time you short press, so you have to remember to LONG PRESS when you go back to portrait mode.