Need a little help with rooted BB

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Droidcop, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Droidcop

Droidcop New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Android Version is 2.2 and BB is version 5.

Yea I know.. a bit outta date, but I just haven't had time to sit down and do what needs to be done. And.. I'm not quite sure of the steps to take here.

I would like to go to Pete's GPA12 (rooted Gingerbread)

Is it a simple download to pc move to SDC.. do a wipe and install the update.zip?

Or.. do I need to take any other precautions or steps other than a rom backup?

thanks for any help!

2. jbang917

jbang917 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I backed up apps and apks as well. Obviously you will be starting like new when you boot after flashing. AppBrain repopulated all my apps though for me. Also make sure you select a kernel to your liking. Personally I had good luck with Raid zero RZA-1100. Right now I am running petes 1.1ghz kernel with compcache enabled.

Edit: one other thing... when I flashed it I didnt do it as update.zip. I left the file name as is from GPA12 and went through nandroid in the recovery menu using clockworkmod... not sure if it makes a difference. this is just how I went about it.

3. Droidcop

Droidcop New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Jbang thanks a ton for the reply! I follow most of your post pretty easily. Two more questions. I'm being lazy.. so what's AppBrain? And .... also.. is the menu to use Nandroid for the install the menu you boot into in Clockworkmod? Or is there something else I need to do?

Again, thank much! Gonna go peruse kernels now! Oh yeah.. never installed a kernel on my phone.. same process as the update? IE: Perfrorm backups, wipe and install the update.. backup rom and install kernel?

Thanks!

4. jbang917

jbang917 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No Problem! App brain is an alternative app to using the market which also allows backing up your apps. And yes Nandroid is in the recovery menu. You will go into that and there are options for either doing a back up or restore. Do the restore ooption and then locate the GPA12 rom wherever you placed in on your sd card. Prior to doing this you should have already done a factory reset wipe as well as wiped the cache parition (both options are in the recovery menu). Once you flash the rom flash the kernel. No need at this point to do a wipe since you already did one when flashing the rom. As far as a kernel, see petes sticky thread about his kernels. I am using one of his kernels with compcache enabled and it is working like a charm. Best of luck!

5. Droidcop

Droidcop New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Jbang, thanks for the help and advice! Just wanted to let ya know I'm up and running with Pete's new roms and kernels. GB is smooooooth!

6. jbang917

jbang917 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome glad you got it all going! And no prob on the advice... thats what forums are for.