Need a little help getting on track!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by doubleod, Oct 3, 2010.

1. doubleod

doubleod New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the whole rooting and adding roms. I have a Droid running FRG22D. I rooted it using this link:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

I successfully rooted my phone and gained superuser access.

I think I may have jumped the gun; I downloaded the Ultimate Droid ROM 5, saved it to my SD Card as 'update', then used ROMManager to load the ROM onto my phone (successfully). The ROM works great and I have only had one problem so far - I can't only choose one notification sound through the main menu...I can't have seperate notification sounds for, say, my Gmail and Handcent.

I did some looking around and found that I was supposed to do a backup with 'nandroid.' I have Astro installed and there is no nandroid folder and I didn't perform any type of backup. I literally rooted, then installed the ROM. I lost all my contacts but was able to get them synched through Google, but all my other items/settings were lost.

I need to know what exactly do I need to do to get back on track and have a proper backup and what is the 'right' process to downloading and installing a new ROM?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    notification sounds for the individual apps are in the apps themselves. check the settings menus of each app, and you should see options for selecting notification sounds

3. BigZig

BigZig Member

Ratings:
    +5
    If you want a backup of the vanilla stock root you would have to re-flash the stock sbf. But if I where you just back up the current rom( if it is working good and you have no problems with it) just so you can go back to a working OS if you have problems loading new roms,kernels,or themes

4. doubleod

doubleod New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    czerdrill: that's the problem...i can set the notification sound in handcent, but it makes no difference. it will only use the sound i have in the main menu sound settings (native messaging notifications are off)

bigzig: what are the steps/items i need to download to do so?

5. doubleod

doubleod New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    scratch the notification sound issue. I was setting the outgoing notifications not the incoming (that's why my name still says newbie). Still curious on how to do the backup correctly.

Also, Ultimate Droid has an option to install the Cytown phone app. When I do it, it FC's. What is this app and is it worth the hassle?

6. BigZig

BigZig Member

Ratings:
    +5
    You should still have the sbf from when you originally rooted using the method above. You would have to re-flash the file through RSD Lite to get a vanilla stock root OS. I use clockwork recovery(which can be flashed through rom manager) because of ease of use. After flashing CWR just boot into recovery and scroll down to the nandroid tab and select backup and it should start backing up the OS. When you want to restore the backup just go to nandroid tab and select restore. Same process if you want backup the current rom you have which would be a lot easier then reflashing the sbf.

As for the best way to download and flash roms, I just download them right from my phone and made folders on my sd card for roms/kernels/and themes then if you are using CWR all you have to do is reboot into recovery mode and select the the tab choose .zip from sd card then select the .zip file you want to install and bingo(this way you do not have to rename the file update everytime or place on the root of card)

I have no clue what cytown is try a more up to date rom something frg22d. Bugless, Liquid, Chevy all good rom devs (no offence to all the other devs out there these are just the more popular ones)

#6 BigZig, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  7. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Are you acutally running BB V.5 or UD 5? If it's UD 5 then you're about 4 revisions behind. Try UD 9. UD and ROM Manager don't see eye to eye due some history.

Also, you're using Clockwork to install the ROM, not ROM Manager. ROM Manager integrates with Clockwork, but it's Clockwork doing the grunt work. You'd be better off ditching ROM Manager (and I hope you didn't pay for the premium version; none of that money goes to Devs who made the ROM) and just doing the installs and downloads manually. There are horror stories about lost recoveries and nearly-bricked Droids.

Clockwork works great, though. :)

8. doubleod

doubleod New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I may have been running UD but I don't know. I cleaned everything out and went to Bugless though and I'm pretty happy with it!

9. BigZig

BigZig Member

Ratings:
    +5
    That's good to hear hope you enjoy. If you have any more ?s just ask and the communtiy will do its best to answer them.

10. doubleod

doubleod New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! Actually I do have another question. I have the new Bugless but my selection in the android market seems limited. I'm trying to get my Visual Voicemail back but I can't find it on the market??

11. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Try going to app>manage app>all>market>clear data

12. doubleod

doubleod New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect! Thank You!