Need a dummies guide to handsfree devices for the DROID X

Reaction score
Hi, here's my deal:

I'm in the car a lot. Had an old Moto Q9c and someone gave me a wired Jabra handset. It worked and I used it. Got the DROID X and headphone plug is different so I have to get something since Johnny Law doesn't look favorably on me holding a big cell phone to my cheek as I drive.

I don't mind if it's wired, I'm just looking for a way to talk on the phone while I drive. Seeing threads about various text-to-speech and speech-to-text functionalities, older BT headsets not working, stereo BT headsets, etc has my mind spinning.

The most important thing is clarity of my voice to the other party, second most important is ease of use, third most important is price. Anyone have a link to a dummies guide, or just a surefire bet that I can just buy and it will work?

Thanks!

hbniner

Reaction score
I have 3 different bluetooth devices that I use. Below is a brief description of each one and you can decide which one suits you best.

1. Jabra SP700 - This is a bluetooth speaker that can clip on to your car's visor. The sound quality is great and I've never had people complain about being able to hear me clearly. It has an FM transmitter that will tell you the best FM station to tune to. You can take calls through your car stereo's speakers. You can also play music from your phone through the car speakers. If you have Slingbox on your phone, you can listen to your tv shows as well (while not driving or course).

2. Jawbone Icon - This can be used in the car, walking around, etc. Great sound quality with noise cancellation/wind suppression for clearer calls. It comes with multiple sized earbuds and an optional ear hook attachment.

3. Motorola S9-HD - This is an over the ear/behind the head style bluetooth headset. I use it for listening to music, watching movies and tv shows on my phone while I'm on the train to work or going for a walk. When I get a call, whatever I'm listening to or watching pauses and I just press the phone icon on the headset to answer the call. Even though the microphone is up by your ear, the people on the other end of the call can hear me fine.

I hope this helps.

scubieman

Reaction score
I have 3 different bluetooth devices that I use. Below is a brief description of each one and you can decide which one suits you best.

1. Jabra SP700 - This is a bluetooth speaker that can clip on to your car's visor. The sound quality is great and I've never had people complain about being able to hear me clearly. It has an FM transmitter that will tell you the best FM station to tune to. You can take calls through your car stereo's speakers. You can also play music from your phone through the car speakers. If you have Slingbox on your phone, you can listen to your tv shows as well (while not driving or course).

2. Jawbone Icon - This can be used in the car, walking around, etc. Great sound quality with noise cancellation/wind suppression for clearer calls. It comes with multiple sized earbuds and an optional ear hook attachment.

3. Motorola S9-HD - This is an over the ear/behind the head style bluetooth headset. I use it for listening to music, watching movies and tv shows on my phone while I'm on the train to work or going for a walk. When I get a call, whatever I'm listening to or watching pauses and I just press the phone icon on the headset to answer the call. Even though the microphone is up by your ear, the people on the other end of the call can hear me fine.

I hope this helps.

Can you use while it's charging? Also how does it charge? Does the FM work good or great?

OP
OfficeLinebacker
Reaction score
Thanks dude, this is awesome. The CD player in my car is messed up so I think I'm going to get the Jabra. The Jawbone is probably more useful for what I specifically need, but the ability to play my MP3s in my car....that's just too cool!

hbniner

Reaction score
@scubieman - The Jabra has a mini USB port for charging. The Jawbone and Motorola have micro USB ports. I've never used any of my bluetooth devices while charging, but if you can use your phone while charging, I'm assuming the same would apply to bluetooth devices. I don't know if it's true or not, but if you believe in those emails floating around that people have gotten shocked and killed when answer their phone while it's being charged, then I'd recommend not using your bluetooth device.

The FM transmitter is pretty decent. As long as there's music or sound coming through your car's speakers, the sound is good. It is not FM stereo quality, but better than AM quality. When there is no sound coming through the speakers, you will hear some static and crackling.

@officelinebacker - You're welcome! Good luck with your purchase.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the one you ordered doesn't work out for you Howard forums Bluetooth forum might be if help.
I don't know of any jabra that work while charging but most plantronics ones do and though its not pretty the plantronics 510 is a durable cheap work horse of a unit, the Pro isn't much prettier but gets about 6 hours of talk and great noise reduction
I have, have tried, or owned and for got rid of over 40 different ones and the best on the market right now, imo, is the jawbone icon but it does not work while charging. It gets a true 4 hours of talk and goes from off to talking in under 2 seconds. The only other ones on the market right now that come on and connect that fast are the moto flip, my favorite being the h710
Hope that helps if things don't work out on your first choice

sent from my Incredible via SlideIT on Tapatalk

liferefugee

Reaction score
for a straight headset, I recommend the Jabra Extreme. $60 at best buy, gives you $100 hands free with the DX and has good quality.

OP
OfficeLinebacker
Reaction score
If the one you ordered doesn't work out for you Howard forums Bluetooth forum might be if help.
I don't know of any jabra that work while charging but most plantronics ones do and though its not pretty the plantronics 510 is a durable cheap work horse of a unit, the Pro isn't much prettier but gets about 6 hours of talk and great noise reduction
I have, have tried, or owned and for got rid of over 40 different ones and the best on the market right now, imo, is the jawbone icon but it does not work while charging. It gets a true 4 hours of talk and goes from off to talking in under 2 seconds. The only other ones on the market right now that come on and connect that fast are the moto flip, my favorite being the h710
Hope that helps if things don't work out on your first choice

Excellent analysis, thanks. After hearing about the questionable quality and static issues I'm thinking I should have gotten the Icon but I'll wait until the Jabra arrives and use it before I jump to any more conclusions. Thanks for the tip about the Howard Forums, I've found those before looking for something else cell phone related, I forget which though.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Static is a relative thing. Some phones just have lousy Bluetooth and no matter which earpiece you use it will suck. Some people think putting the phone in a pocket and the earpiece on the other side and day it sucks, some think you can put the phone on another room and there will be no static but some earpieces just are lousy but 99% its not static but poor sound.
That being said there is no THE one for everyone or even anyone, no matter how much/ little it costs.I just google reviews for unit and phone I'm using before considering but its still a crap shoot often, thus why I wrote tried in my 1st post.I actually only have 5 now and use only 3, the icon, Plantronics Pro and Jabra8010
If you go to hofo check out 2 users named wirelessAndy and ChuckKnight. I've learned a ton from them and their posts are reliable and also remember what's lousy for some is good for others.I prefer Jabra sound over all others because its a hint of bassy, which I prefer in loud work environments

kendubya

Reaction score

I hope this helps.

Can you use while it's charging? Also how does it charge? Does the FM work good or great?

+1 for the Icon and S9-HD...both work great.

rodan32

Reaction score
Charging

My Jabra headset would work fine while charging (though a little awkward). The Jawbone Icon, however, will not work while charging. The battery life is very good, though, so this rarely becomes an issue.

I prefer the Jawbone to any headset I've had (and I have had many). The noise cancellation is excellent, as in "feel free to talk on the phone and flush the toilet at the same time" levels of noise cancelling.

Kandiru

Reaction score
A. For Car:

If you want better than CD and love clean wireless solutions, get an A2DP aka Bluetooth Stereo or Advanced Audio adapter.

Tip, power source of 850mAh or above a must, beware of the plethora of underpowered ebay IC or "intelligent charging chip", with these you will see battery dying in 2 hours while streaming music or navigating.

Connects2 BTAV01 $25 on ebay UK:

2007_10_25_15_54_30_2007_08_03_11_34_40_BTAV01.jpg

Mine is behind the radio, i have the Jabra JX10 Gen.2 headset on (they still float new on ebay, superb quality, ergonomics and noise canceling), DX knows to mute the mute music via A2DP and send the call to headset.

A little tip for the Jabra, i used automotive touchup paint the black out the blue blinking light.
jx10seriesII_large.jpg

B. For gardening/jogging etc:

Some stereo headsets have both protocols, clear stereo with music streams and mono with mic when in call, like this $80 Sennheiser MM100 refurb off Amazon, as an audiophile i can attest to sound quality, beats any Moto set:

Sennheiser%20MM%20100%20550.jpg

OP
OfficeLinebacker
Reaction score
Dude this has turned into an awesome thread...I just wish I had waited longer before I ordered what I got!