Need a better HOME THEME

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
I was looking at all the different apps that are in the market and have narrowed my choices down to 2 ..........one of them is GDE and the other is HOME ++ , problem here is I am not even sure that HTC ERIS can run the HOME ++ app , cause when I searched it in the marketplace it doesnt give me anything. As for GDE I am worried about a few complaints that it has gotten lateley.
If you guys/gals can help me decide which one of the 2 will work for my ERIS or other suggestions , I would appreciate it very much

GrdLock

Reaction score
This is way out there, but I came across SlideScreen the other day. It's nothing like any other home replacement out there. It's definitely not for everyone though. Slide Screen by Larva Labs

There's a free version on the market to try out, just has a banner at the bottom.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is way out there, but I came across SlideScreen the other day. It's nothing like any other home replacement out there. It's definitely not for everyone though. Slide Screen by Larva Labs

There's a free version on the market to try out, just has a banner at the bottom.

That's pretty slick...Like you said, not for EVERYONE, as I really like having wallpapers and multiple screens, but if it's a smooth as it looks, definitely a very nice niche app.

I'm seriously considering downloading it just to play around a little.

Thanks for the tip!

***EDIT: Question for you...Do you use this and/or have you tried it? Can you hide message text? I don't REALLY mind having the name of the person texting me right there on the screen for anyone to see, but sometimes it's nice to have a bit of privacy...and it seems like hiding screen text would allow more info to be shown at one time...

divalibra

Reaction score
Do the various home replacement apps allow you to keep the seven screens that Sense provides or is it limited to four or five? Also after downloading and running the home replacement apps would i necessarily need to install Task killer to stop Sense UI from running.

mhotovec

Reaction score
I just started using GDE today, so far it's pretty cool. I don't know that I think it's BETTER than Sense, but it seems to be as good - and it's got some cool animations. The downside is that the HTC widgets don't work on anything other than Sense. So if you're in love with one or more those widgets you might want to think twice about installing any different home app. At the very least you'll want to check on the Market to see if there is something else that will take the place of the widget(s).

@Divalibra, Sense is not actively running, so you shouldn't need to kill it with a task killer. Admittedly my battery is not holding a charge like it has been, but I've been messing with the phone pretty much all morning setting up GDE, so it's OK that the usage is up.

mhotovec

Reaction score
try searching for home++ instead of home ++

Just found out that HOME ++ is not on ANY HTC ERIS app market , because that application is not supported by the ERIS OS !!!!!

It would be more accurate to say the application doesn't support the Eris OS, but in any case it's correct that it won't work on our phones (at least not until the 2.x update).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
try searching for home++ instead of home ++

Just found out that HOME ++ is not on ANY HTC ERIS app market , because that application is not supported by the ERIS OS !!!!!

It would be more accurate to say the application doesn't support the Eris OS, but in any case it's correct that it won't work on our phones (at least not until the 2.x update).

Actually, no. It's more accurate to say that it's not supported by the Eris OS, because the Eris OS lacks some functions/features/etc to run it and can, therefore, not support the application.

GrdLock

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to play around with all the big home screen replacements. I tried aHome, OpenHome, PandaHome, GDE, Sweeter Home, and dxTop. I'd rate aHome and dxTop at the head of the list. However, I still went back to Sense. dxTop was nice, but too slow. Noticed a definite speed decrease over Sense. aHome was good, but a lot of widgets I like don't work with it. Sweeter Home has some good potential, but the only themes I could find that I liked were designed for the Droid's high-res screen and don't work right on the Eris.

I was trying to find a reason to switch from Sense, but when it all boiled down to it, I just couldn't find one.

***EDIT: Question for you...Do you use this and/or have you tried it? Can you hide message text? I don't REALLY mind having the name of the person texting me right there on the screen for anyone to see, but sometimes it's nice to have a bit of privacy...and it seems like hiding screen text would allow more info to be shown at one time...

I don't use it personally. I did try it out for a while. As far as I know there isn't a way to hide the message text. You can drag the slider up so that it doesn't show your text messages, but that's it. I might try this home replacement in the future when it's further into development. Once it is able to integrate with more things, it might be a definite win. :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried it out for myself as well after asking if you had. I like that it can be used as just an app, and not replace the home screen, but I don't really see [at this point] how this would be beneficial to me...

Thanks for your response!