NDrive Navigation Application

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by AndroidMentor, Jun 25, 2010.

1. AndroidMentor

AndroidMentor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I read that NDrive, a nav. app, is having a promotion price for the UK and USA Droid users?

does anyone have more information?

anyone ever use their software?:blackdroid:

2. captaincanada84

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you replace Google Navigation? I've found it to be a million times better than any other nav. I have a Garmin navigation system that I never ever use, because Google Nav is so much better.

3. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Because last year Google dropped their contracts with Navteq and TeleAtlas to provide map data (because they planned on offering Nav for free in Android, and Navteq doesn't like that) so they are using the US Census "Tiger" database as their mapping basis, and it is horribly inaccurate when compared to Navteq.

If Garmin offered an Android app, and not just an Android phone on T-Mobile, I would buy it in a second.

Google nav is a fun toy, and I'll use it for general directions, but if I need to be somewhere I have never been and I need to be their on time, I pull out my Garmin (which uses Navteq maps).

Alan

4. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you read this? It is not on their web site, and I haven't found anything. Downloading to try now to see if their maps are better than Google (I suspect they are), but all I see is that there is a 7 day trial on the maps, not anything about a discount or promotion.

Alan

5. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that it is installed, I see that the provider is TeleAtlas. This is the same provider as TomTom (in fact, TomTom now owns them). I have always thought they were a little less accurate then Navteq/Garmin, but decent. Good in cities, a little less accurate in rural areas.

You an get the US for 20 Euros (~$25) or all North America for 40 Euros (~$50).

That is not bad compared to Garmin pricing, whcih is not even available for Android except in their NuviPhone which is just on T-Mobile.

Alan

6. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I appear to be talking to myself here, so I won't bother posting a full review, but I gave this a test drive over the weekend. While the maps are more accurate than Google, as I predicted, the routing algorithms are pretty poor compared to any Garmin device or device using Navteq maps I have used. Also, it is not well integrated with Android. Even Garmin MobileXT on Windows Mobile and Blackberry can do Google searches, but not Ndrive.

I'll watch for improvements, but I don't expect to be spending money on this. Just waiting for Wikitude Drive's next beta (they use Navteq, but the first Beta was pretty bad as far as features) or for Garmin to release an Android app.

Alan

7. OldguyMark

OldguyMark Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol - I'm listening - thanks for the info.

8. eliassami5

eliassami5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Google nav works flawlessly for me all up and down California. Sry that you dont feel the same lol

9. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.

Spam, lovely Spam, wonderful Spam

10. erikfig

erikfig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ]

wtf?????????????

11. AndroidMentor

AndroidMentor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im listening

Jeeze, no ya I'm listening, sorry been seriously distracted by work lately. Thank you for running down my ill informed conjecture so quickly. I deal a lot with international business and was speaking with an individual from the UK who mentioned it briefly. I cannot, however find any additional information on said promotion.

In response to the nay-sayers of additional GPS nav. apps other than google, i find the NDrive apps (Most 'after market' nav apps) to be more accurate and contain more features than google. It depends on what circumstance you will be using it in, for example I travel internationally and my company pays for apps. NDrive is really really popular in Europe especially western which is where i am doing business regularly. Not so much in the USA however.

@ 20$ USD i don't think its bad, it takes a while to get used to the UI and to be able to navigate the way you want. I would however agree that the navigation algorithm could use work. Does that have anything to do with the map provider or is it strictly development?

12. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Missing features. No local storage of maps. Maybe he doesn't like the TTS voice.

Why would you assume that one size fits all? Not everyone shares your needs/wants (as with anything -- not just GPS nav solutions) and may not find Google Maps Nav sufficient.

#12 takeshi, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Search tags for this page

android replaces navteq

n drive android

ndrive software for android