Navigation

jor

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a better way to do navigation. Presently, if I don't have the address I:
1. Look it up on the browser. Then I write it down (haven't done the copy-paste yet)
2. Touch the "Car Home" icon, select "navigation"
3. Enter my "End point"
4. Touch "Go"
5. Select "Navigate"
6. Follow the spoken prompts.

Also, when in the navigation mode, is it possible to do other functions and return to the nav mode with the map displayed and the spoken prompts enabled. I ask this second question as yesterday, my wife looked something up with the Droid while we were in nav mode and for some reason, we didn't hear any more spoken prompts. Thanks.
jor

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Hit the voice search icon and say "Navigate to....." and the Nav app will fire up...

OP
J

jor

Reaction score
Well, that worked amazingly well! Thanks. When not using the voice search, what is the best method? Thanks.
jor

Guurzak

Reaction score
If I'm navigating someplace by name (rather than a known address) I usually just voice search for it. The voice recognition code works very well. For example, there's a restaurant in Atlanta called Souper Jenny (they make soup). You'd think that VR would have trouble with finding this address because it sounds just like "super", but no; I said "navigate to super jenny" and it came right up with the correct spelling and address and off we went.

You can also just type in the name of where you're going into the "end point" field and it will find the address for you. You can be specific or very vague- as vague as "asian food nearby" and it will bring up a list of appropriate restaurants close to your current location, then navigate you to the one you pick.

Trust the device. It's a lot smarter than we intuitively expect.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Well, that worked amazingly well! Thanks. When not using the voice search, what is the best method? Thanks.
jor

Use the app Google Address Book.....keep all the addys in there.....

OP
J

jor

Reaction score
Backnblack, just d/l'd Google Maps Address Book and will give it a try.
Guurzak, re the typing in the endpoint, do you begin with the Car Home app or is it more customary to simply use the Map app? Thanks.
jor

Reaction score
If you google a place, it will show the phone number and "get directions" on right side of the browser.
Tap "get Directions"
select Maps
When the drop down appears, click "GO"
select "Navigate"

Guurzak

Reaction score
Guurzak, re the typing in the endpoint, do you begin with the Car Home app or is it more customary to simply use the Map app?

Looks like Car Home gets you to a navigation prompt with fewer steps. My apps list doesn't appear to have a separate entry for Navigation, and going in through Maps requires several extra touches.

yoopermjm

Reaction score
If I'm navigating someplace by name (rather than a known address) I usually just voice search for it. The voice recognition code works very well. For example, there's a restaurant in Atlanta called Souper Jenny (they make soup). You'd think that VR would have trouble with finding this address because it sounds just like "super", but no; I said "navigate to super jenny" and it came right up with the correct spelling and address and off we went.

You know that's the most amazing thing to me. I did that in the car the other day and my passenger's jaw dropped. What a cool thing this voice recognition is, coupled with the nav.

OP
J

jor

Reaction score
Hmmmm... I don't see what you're describing. I type in an address in the google query field. It gives me search results with that address displayed as a link. It also shows a "get directions" field displayed next to a starting point prompt. I wasn't able to get to a Navigate option this way.

I'm just trying to find the best way of doing this. I used it yesterday driving around Phoenix and it was great.
jor

Hackbone

Reaction score
How do I get the nav to repeat a direction. After it announces it at times I would like to hear it again with my poor hearing?

ntrddragn

Reaction score
this is what i do..launch car home and voice search if i know the address or dont know the address. if i dont know the address but know the area..i would say navigate to "Target in San Marcos" per se and it would search and list all the targets near me. click on the one i want and navigate. :D if i know the address i just say navigate to 1234 droid way san diego ca 92342 for example.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just open maps, click navigate to, and then either type or 'speak' where I want to go. Since it's a google phone, search is integrated everywhere... a list of selections pops up, I select what I want and off I go!

ntrddragn

Reaction score
How do I get the nav to repeat a direction. After it announces it at times I would like to hear it again with my poor hearing?

the navi always repeat it twice...the first time would be like take exit blah in 1.5 miles and then it would just say take exit blah. The second time it doesnt give the miles it means take that exit. :)

searayman

Reaction score
if you want to save places I made a folder on one of my home screens called "directions" and you can make shortcuts for places to navigate to. I find this extreamley handy