Navigation Volume Low

mf18nh

Reaction score
The volume on G navigation is much lower that what I get on a speaker call. Thinking of returning phone because it is too difficult to hear driving instructions. Any ideas on a fix for this?

snrsuave

Reaction score
I noticed the same issue. Not sure if it's a problem with the Fascinate or a bug in Google navigation. I really hope we get a fix for this. I also use Cardiotrainer and noticed that it also has a low volume problem that didn't exist on my droid.

snrsuave

Reaction score
Posted the issue with Google

I posted the issue with Google. I'm surprised more people haven't said anything about this.

Issue 11459 - android - Google maps navigation volume very low on Verizon Samsung Fascinate - Project Hosting on Google Code

I also noticed that Cardiotrainer (which also has it's own volume level as opposed to using the standard media volume) also has this same issue. Seems that any app which uses it's own volume level instead of using the "media volume" setting might have this issue.

M

Mwsr

The volume on the whole phone needs to be louder. .

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

pthapa

Reaction score
Exactly. That is why I use my bluetooth every time I use nav. And I'm eagerly waiting for the froyo update so that I can change the navigation voice.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

fluidj

Reaction score
Have you folks verified that all of your volume settings are set to the high level? My volume seems plenty loud.

snrsuave

Reaction score
This was driving me nuts, but I finally found a solution! You don't need root or anything to fix, but you do have to enable the secret hidden menu, then adjust a few settings. To enable to hidden menu and access the "audio tuning" settings go here:

Android_Secret_Code String Revealed! - Android Forums

Once you access the audio tuning menu, select "stream", and then select which setting you want to adjust, either headset, speaker, or earpiece. Once inside, you will want to adjust the "SYSTEM" setting. Google nav uses the system volume setting for it's navigation volume, so this what needs to be adjusted. I have mine set as follows in both stream_speaker and stream_headset settings and it is much louder:

step0 = 0
step1 = 58
step2 = 65
step3 = 72
step4 = 79
step5 = 86
step6 = 93
step7 = 100
dbStep = 0.5

Default values (for stream_speaker settings) were:
step0 = 0
step1 = 29
step2 = 35
step3 = 41
step4 = 47
step5 = 53
step6 = 59
step7 = 65
dbStep =0.5

By contrast, the speakerphone maximum setting is 86, so if these values are percentages, the navigation volume was 21% lower than the speakerphone volume.

I listen to the music player in my car, and when navigating, the turn by turn directions were barely audible over the music player. The default maximum system volume setting was 65. The maximum music volume setting was 98. This is why I had to listen to music at half volume in order to have the nav volume be equal, even though the nav volume was at max. I hope this helps and I will be posting this elsewhere to help as much people out as I can.

jrl9851

Reaction score
That worked perfect, thanks. Any idea how to increase youtube video volume from the speaker?

jrl9851

Reaction score
Well great...that just screwed up my brightness somehow. It stays on max brightness no matter what I do, thus kills the battery. I have no idea how to fix it.

john_from_ict

Reaction score
Just adjusted my settings successfully. Will check it out in the morning to see how NAV volume responds. Thanks again!

Nuance

Reaction score
Time to bump this thread: this trick doesn't work on the new software update, as the settings won't save. Does anyone have a solution besides rooting?

Volones

Reaction score
Time to bump this thread: this trick doesn't work on the new software update, as the settings won't save. Does anyone have a solution besides rooting?

Same here, debugging mode was disabled, but even when I re-enabled it and rebooted my phone, it still didn't keep my chages.