Navigation orientation problem

nwsam

Reaction score
I just got the car dock before I took a 3000 mile trip so I had plenty of time to try out navigation. I had my phone mounted horizontally on my dash. I had one major issue that I haven't seen anyone mention yet. When going over bumps or anything that might cause acceleration force on the phone, the navigation orientation will momentarily switch to vertical and back. When it switches orientation, it blanks the screen and takes a second to redraw. This is really annoying, sometimes the display would flash every few seconds from it switching. I couldn't find any settings to lock the display to a certain orientation which would solve the problem. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The jolt caused the phone to think you flipped it vertical.
Have not seen anything to lock screen orientation or to calibrate the accelerometer.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The jolt caused the phone to think you flipped it vertical.
Have not seen anything to lock screen orientation or to calibrate the accelerometer.
Seen this too. My in car mount is vertical (portrait) and it's 'jumped' to horizontal (landscape) once or twice, but it usually recognizes it's upright and fixes itself....:icon_eek:

h4ndi

Reaction score
I drove 2500 miles and had the same issue, it was really annoying. Occasionally it would take up to five seconds to figure out how to draw the orientation and update the screen. There is an option in the settings to not auto orient, but this had no affect to my droid while it was in the car dock. Is there a way to see if a fix for this issue will be included in the next update?

mmcompute

Reaction score
I don't have a car dock so when I use navigation I just lay the phone down on my console. I've not noticed the problems you are describing. Perhaps the phone understands it is on its back and not vertical or horizontal. Don't know...that would be annoying though.