Navigation or Google Maps

don_droid

Reaction score
I am new so please excuse the question, but is the Navigation icon on the Bionic the same as google Maps? If not which is best for traffic updates and route planning?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Maps just shows you your surrounding area, or where you move the screen to. Maps also has the navigation option within it. So if you just want to see whats around you, you can just click maps. If you decide then you want to navigate, click the navigate icon in maps. If you are specifically looking to navigate, you can bypass the maps and just click navigate, which will bring up maps in navigation format. Sounds, complicated but once you play with it a bit you will see its quite simple :)

OP
D

don_droid

Reaction score
Thanks, Shadez. I am still trying to understand the differences between the different options. It seemed both icons: Maps and Navigation; used Google Maps but I wanted to make sure they did and if they had any differences.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Thanks, Shadez. I am still trying to understand the differences between the different options. It seemed both icons: Maps and Navigation; used Google Maps but I wanted to make sure they did and if they had any differences.

In simple terms, maps just takes you to maps, with an option within to navigate. The stand-alone navigate icon takes you straight to where you enter the info where you want to navigate to. The navigate icon is really just a shortcut to avoid opening maps then hitting the navigate icon.

lanza_david

Reaction score
I am annoyed by the fact that the navigation icon does not take you to the main menu but to the search box.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

TyrantII

Reaction score

Navigation is a full blown GPS Navigation router. Maps is just vanilla Google Maps, with your location overlay.

Personally, my wish list being able to feed a custom, pre-mapped out google maps saved direction into Navigation. That be great for long trips planned out beforehand.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
I don't know if this only works while the Bionic is in the car dock, but when you select "Navigation" from the car dock home screen, you're presented with a different "Maps" type screen... it shows where you are tracks your movements, same as "Maps" does, except it also displays your speed as well. It has a button to take you to the regualr "Maps" app (which lets you use the "satellite" layer and has all its other features), a "Traffic" button that shows similarly to the way "Maps" does it, and then of course the Navigation button where you can enter your destination and have it find your route.

It's pretty slick!

Reaction score
I love the navigation app! I used it all the time with my OG DROID too. I like that it shows a pic of your destination when you get there, I would have missed the place I was going to once if it hadn't been for that (it was a house hidden by trees).

nlombs

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn the built in navigation off? I have a Bionic and love using Waze. The navigation is just a power drain. Any suggestions appreciated.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn the built in navigation off? I have a Bionic and love using Waze. The navigation is just a power drain. Any suggestions appreciated.

The only way I know is to root and freeze the built-in navigation app.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Navigation is a full blown GPS Navigation router. Maps is just vanilla Google Maps, with your location overlay.

Personally, my wish list being able to feed a custom, pre-mapped out google maps saved direction into Navigation. That be great for long trips planned out beforehand.

Droid Does

Log into your Google account on your PC. Open Google Maps on the PC. Plan your route. Save it to "My Maps" Open Maps on your Android device. Press> Layers (at the top of the screen looks like a pile of paper) Press> My Maps. Cha-ching. If you have odd way points along the way, you can not navigate them by navigating to the end point. Navigation on the Droid will take you the most direct route. But you can Navigate from one way point (balloon) to the next by pressing that balloon.

Ziggie

Reaction score
For long trips you could do a series of direction shortcuts by long pressing on the home screen, selecting Directions and Navigation, set up various end points one at a time, label them "Day 1 trip to (destination)", "Day 2" etc., then make a desktop folder and place the trip shortcuts in it. A little tedious, but it works.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
For long trips you could do a series of direction shortcuts by long pressing on the home screen, selecting Directions and Navigation, set up various end points one at a time, label them "Day 1 trip to (destination)", "Day 2" etc., then make a desktop folder and place the trip shortcuts in it. A little tedious, but it works.

To set up multiple locations like that, it is also easier (less tedious) to do on a PC. Just make sure you are logged into your Google account. "Star" the locations. Then from your Android device Maps>Menu>More>My Places

wvcadle

Reaction score
The problem I have is that the maps all show up differently depending on how you get to them. Open Navigation, tap on maps, it gives you the maps with layers, including satellite.. but doesn't show speed, direction, etc. Google maps does, but doesn't offer navigation. Tap on the navigation icon in Google maps, and it opens a browser window... wfh??

My ideal maps/navigation option would be a map that opens with layers, shows speed and direction, and by tapping on navigation, will let you speak or type in a destination and take you there. Why can't this all be in one app?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
The problem I have is that the maps all show up differently depending on how you get to them. Open Navigation, tap on maps, it gives you the maps with layers, including satellite.. but doesn't show speed, direction, etc. Google maps does, but doesn't offer navigation. Tap on the navigation icon in Google maps, and it opens a browser window... wfh??

My ideal maps/navigation option would be a map that opens with layers, shows speed and direction, and by tapping on navigation, will let you speak or type in a destination and take you there. Why can't this all be in one app?

I use Google maps everyday. Mine does all that in one place. If I was guessing... at some point in time you have set (maybe accidently) defaults that are driving you all over the place. I am not sure if you need to undo things in Maps, your browser, Navigation, or all of the above. Menu>Manage Apps> then look at all of the different places you list and see what is in the "Launch by Default" sections of all those apps. Clear those defaults