navigation not locating gps

srothkin

Reaction score
I was testing the navigation with the car dock this morning. 15 minutes 5 miles to office and the whole way it displays searching for GPS. Even after I took it out of the car dock and carried it to my office it didn't find the GPS.

I know there is good GPS reception all along the route because my car has built in GPS navigation which I've tested on this route.

What is wrong / how do I fix this?

ericwiz

Reaction score
I find that the GPS works better if you are stationary first. Once it locks in it seems fine for the most part.

Although, I had used the GPS without any issue before I got the car dock so now that you mention it, maybe there is an issue with GPS and the dock?

Would be a good test, try the same thing on the way home but don't use the dock and see if you get a better result.

Also, is it cloudy out? I was thinking that may have been my issue at first. I take the train to commute so I dont use the car too often. It would be a good test to try with and without the dock with the same weather conditions then try in clear/cloudy to get a real feel for it.

Ill try and do some of this this weekend.

~Eric

heem

Reaction score
do you have the device near the window?

comic0guy

Reaction score
i will say, this morning i turned it on, didn't seem to be able to find anything....not sure why, works perfectly before

ericwiz

Reaction score
If you go out for lunch try it without the dock. I am curious if it will work better for you.

drewshaver

Reaction score
I've seen reports of an initial fix taking hours, and then all works normal, although it seems absurdly necc..
also try removing any 3rd party gps apps you may have d/led to diagnose the problem. For more, see hardware section: Motorola Droid FAQ Wiki

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Yes, getting a GPS lock the first time can take a very long time. It depends where the Droid thinks it is located. The way GPS works is that depending on your location, the date, the time, etc. the unit knows where it should look in the sky for the GPS satellites. If the location is way off then it could take a long time to find them. It is quick after that because it knows your location and knows where to look. You would also need to wait a long time if you did something like turn GPS off, fly across the country, and turned it back on. It was explained in the manual which came with my Garmin GPS.

ericwiz

Reaction score
So I got my droid replaced last nite and remembered this thread. So, when I got outside I put it into the car dock and started up maps. It took almost a minute for it find my location then all was good. Kept track of me through my travels.

I do think that while you are moving, if the GPS doesn't have a fix it has a hard time locking in.

OP
S

srothkin

Reaction score
Finally got it working. Ran GPS Status until it got lock on a bunch of satellites (8) and then tried the navigation. Its worked fine since.