Navigation needs to learn how to pronounce

modified

Reaction score
Argghhh.

Is it me or does the female voice on the navigation annoying when she says "RYE" instead of "RIGHT."

"Make a RYE on route 1."

Everything else is great

stdesign

Reaction score
Hmmm... I haven't noticed this. I only just tried my turn-by-turn navigation a couple of days ago, and I think it rocks :icon_ banana:. Now I've gotta get a car cradle, so I can use the nav in a safer way :).

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
it screws up a bunch of the street names by me... im in miami and the surrounding areas all the time and it has a hard time with all the spanish names.

the rest of the time im in tarpon springs which is infested with greek's and it has a hard time with the greek names too.

still completely satisfied with it.

lschicky

Reaction score
hahaha, all the GPS navigation I've ever had has botched things. I was quite enjoying it the other day when it was driving my parents nuts.

lschicky

Reaction score
though that reminds me, is there any way to change the voice? Perhaps do custom voices?

I always wanted the one bob dylan did for one of the GPS units....

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
it screws up a bunch of the street names by me... im in miami and the surrounding areas all the time and it has a hard time with all the spanish names.

the rest of the time im in tarpon springs which is infested with greek's and it has a hard time with the greek names too.

still completely satisfied with it.

Her familiarity with the Native American names around Seattle is, ahem, limited to say the least.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
though that reminds me, is there any way to change the voice? Perhaps do custom voices?

I always wanted the one bob dylan did for one of the GPS units....
Not really with the TTS approach used in Google Nav. It would be possible if you had a GPS app that actually used sound clips.

Sleeve

Reaction score
My Garmin nuvi has a major problem with numbered roads. It says 426 fort wendy six, among other amusing quirks. My wife's built-in nav in her car has a strong accent, so bad that we mimic it.

I expect to see more features in Navigation when it is no longer a beta. Now that the fruit phone will be getting someone else's navigation, that's great news for us because now Google can't sit around on a halfcrap nav app if they want people moving to their kool-aid.

To me the nav in Android is good enough to no longer pay Garmin. Sure, it botches proper names and it says a few basic words oddly, but it converges one more thing into a single gizmo and that works for me.

mitchb2

Reaction score
I think it's pretty funny, but only when you already know what she's talking about.

My Garmin pronounces every street that is a "Drive" as doctor. :)
"Now approaching Oak Hill Doctor."

mossostdrauka

Reaction score
yeah i've noticed it a few times too... it always cracks me up so far. I'm sure that if i couldnt see the screen it might annoy me but all my GPS's have done this. i sometimes take a road with a crazy name just to hear it try to pronounce it!

Cowpoke

Reaction score
I was heading south the other day and the phone said "Take exit 42b to Lawton A Mary Low."

I was like, what the **** is "A Mary Low"?

When I got to the exit it said Lawton OK/Amarillo TX

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
OK, at least you guys have a working GPS...lol Mine can never find a signal. Every time I try to use it, it says searching for GPS but never finds it. I was outside on a major interstate near Charlotte NC. Could not find signal. It is the only gripe I have with this device.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
at first it was weird for me to but after awhile i got used to it. still pretty funny though