Navigation = AWESOME!

Scribble

Reaction score
So last night the wife and I were driving home from Boston... We get just outside of NYC, and run into a traffic Jame... Uggg What's going on...

My Wife (who is always my trusty "nagrivator!") checks the traffic layer on maps and sees there's a crash up ahead, causing an hour long delay! :(

But fear not... "Take this exit!" she says... five minutes later we were around the accident, and back on 95 crossing the GW.

Google gets props for saving me an hour on my commute.

(Also it's funny to hear it call the George Washington bridge the GEO WASH.)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, Navigation is awesome. There are quite a few people who seem to think it should have full GPS functionality, but I think it's fine just how it is.

justbob

Reaction score
It's even more awesome-er with the new night mode!

OP
S

Scribble

Reaction score
I agree, Navigation is awesome. There are quite a few people who seem to think it should have full GPS functionality, but I think it's fine just how it is.

I had(have) an Iway 500... It's been sitting on my shelf unused because the Droid does pretty much everything it does, only it's more convenient.

And aside from navigation, having Pandora while traveling through multiple states is... Amazing!

DarrellM5

Reaction score
You fared better than me. I figured out what the traffic layer was for in the middle of an hour long traffic jam. Wish I'd known before hand.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
I was in downtown Raleigh, NC and made it to my destination but ended up needing cash for parking and I just searched for "Bank" real quick and it took me right there, then back where I needed to go.

Also came in handy when I traveled to California for vacation.

For extended trips I still like my TomTom but quick navigation and finding "stuff" I'm all about Google Nav now.

justbob

Reaction score
The searching is what I really like. I love to just be able to hit the button and say "Navigate to <place name>" and off it goes. It never ceases to amaze those in the car with me..

OP
S

Scribble

Reaction score
I also like that it doesn't try its hardest to keep you locked to the original route...

For instance, in the above scenario, as soon as we left 95, my old GPS would have done it's best to put us right back on 95, usually by way of turning around or something.

Often this was a real PITA when trying to change my route...

Google Nav seems to just want to keep you moving. If you change the route, it just sends you forward instead of trying to get you back on its chosen path.

I don't know if this is something common to all newer GPS units or not, but I sure like it.