Nav app that gathers speed limit data?

tu3218

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure how to put this or even if this thing is out there. Well is there gps app that knows what road your on an the speed limit? So if your speeding over ~5,10,15, etc it will tell you. I'm not sure if this is even possible, just curious.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's certainly possible. I'd just be concerned about the data being outdated.

Does your car not have cruise control?

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
No it does have it. I just drive on back roads, and in fact I don't even really speed. Not much point in an SUV. I just like to run a mapping software while driving(kinda like a built in gps system for a car) and I figured this could be some useful technology especially in new areas where speed limits signs are very scattered.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
I don't even care if it tries to calculate my own speed, I just wish the nav would let me know what the speed limit is on that road. I was on a HW yesterday that I didn't have a clue what the speed limit was for over an hour. I realize it could be out of date and you need to pay attention to construction areas, but even if 10% of the roads are wrong its better than not having the foggiest Idea until you hit the next speed limit sign and its about 50 miles down the highway.

Sleeve

Reaction score
I don't even think Navtech has a back roads speed limit database. Any GPS will certainly know what road you're on, or else it isn't much use. But to be able to tell you the speed limit, it needs a source for that information. My dedicated GPS will give the speed limit for major state roads but not for minor ones, and it is limited to the data installed on it.

It's certainly within reason that a company with the resources to do StreetView could build a speed limit database and keep it maintained.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah I mean main roads are just find, anything really. I guess will just have to wait for any developer to come up with something. Actually it would be nice if trapster incorporated this into their software. It fits right in with the whole point of trapster and its main goals. Course I don't think enough people use trapster to really make complete use of it. But I guess that just depends your location and how heavily populated it is. What if they put trapster in car gps systems, or garmin gps's. Guarantee trapster would take off lol

TreeFrog

Reaction score
I did a beta test for Sygic back in my winmo days and it rocked...mph were posted with an adjustable alert. I did just google it and they say they have an Android version but maybe just htc as far as i can tell. plus it looks like it comes on its own card...which would suck...plus it looked spendy! the beta I did was an actual download though so that was cool and it would blow the stock nav outta the water if it worked just as well on the droid. =)

but the question of mph...worked great and was always right on as far as posted speed. and yes it of course used gps to determine your speed which in my case worked great also!