Nandroid vs CWM backup?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by speedfreeq, Nov 15, 2010.

1. speedfreeq

speedfreeq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any difference in the two, other than the folder it's stored in? They seem to go thru the same processes in the Recovery shell, and other than being able to name the CWM file, seem to have the same structure and size. I'm still fairly new to root and ROM/kernel flashing, so I'm way conservative & do both backups, along with a TiBu of all my apps, every time. Do I need to do both?

-from my D1 running LFY v1.95 (today)

2. boostedhonda

boostedhonda Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They are exactly the same, just use a slightly different process when restoring. Neither is better than the other.

3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    The results are the saem but I view the process as different. SPRecovery was the first recovery system. It was and remains a very stable process. RM/CW followed and for many it provided a quick process that did the work for them. RM/CW has, at times, not been as stable as SPR. Therefore, I use and prefer SPR.

As for backups. Like you I am very cautious. Anytime I make a change to my OS (new rom, add a kernel or theme) I make a SPR backup. A solid backup can save you hours of work and frustration. I have over 70 apps on my phone. I've gotten to the point that I do not worry about backing them up. Any data I my lose with a restore or system wipe is not an issue for me. Instead, I focus on backing up the OS.
    Hope this is helpful.

Mike

4. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    I on the other hand use CWM and Rom Manager. I guess its because that is what I started to use when I first rooted. It has become comfortable to me and I have figured out its quirks. I have used SPRecovery (especially when flashing a ROM that requires it). In my opinion they are both equally good recovery systems and the "backups" are basically the same only (as was previously stated) slightly different processes to do. I am also one that performs backups ANY time I mess with the OS or themes. I have too many replacement apps and setups that I would go mad if something happened.

5. giant25

giant25 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    I use Nandroid, and actually you can name the file. Don't choose simple backup, that'll just save the date info. Choose Advanced Nandroid Backup and you can type in a name.

Search tags for this page

cwm backup location

cwm backup vs nandroid

cwm based recovery bacup editor

cwm nandroid backup

cwm nandroid backup location
cwm vs nandroid
nandroid backup cwm
nandroid cwm

nandroid vs cwm

where does cwm store the backup files?