1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Nandroid question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by randomboy50, May 13, 2010.

1. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

I currently have the droid, rooted with SG 6.0.1. Due to some camera issues, a green glow in the middle, I am going to go get my phone exchanged. I was curious to see if I would be able to just do a nandroid backup of my current phone and then just restore it to the new phone. Thanks!
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    I am going to start by saying that I am not the most knowledgeable in rooting. With that said........... Your backups are stored on your sd card so logically, when you get your new phone make sure you grab your sd card then you would have to root the new phone and then yeah I would suspect you could then restore your backup through the recovery menu. I am not sure if this has been done before as I do not recall seeing anyone post it if they have. But theoretically it should work. I would suggest pm someone in the rescue squad and see what they think.
  3. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

Well thank for the quick reply Dlwhtrose. I knew that the backups would be able to be transfered to the next phone but what worried me was that some files might be "locked" to my current phone which may cause problems with the new one. I might wait a few to see a few more responses before I make my way to the rescue squad.
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Yes. The backups are stored on your SD card, so you can just pull it out of your current phone and put it in the replacement. In order to use your nandroid backups though, you will have to re-root the replacement phone. Technically all you will need to do is get a custom recovery (whichever you used to make your backup) back on your phone. I am sure that new phones come with 2.1 pre-installed by now, so you will have to use RSDLite to flash an .sbf in order to obtain root and/or a custom recovery.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html <-- is a guide on how to flash an .sbf with links and stuff. You will want to use the SPRecovery.sbf , and if your current backup is in SPRecovery, you will be set. If not, you can use SPRecovery to obtain root, then install Clockwork recovery.
  5. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

Thanks Cupfulloflol, well thats what I assumed but wanted to see if my thought process was sound. Ill hopefully get in the V-Store around Saturday to exchange my phone. Ill give a status report once things are said and done that way this thread can have some resolution for other people.

Thanks a lot
  6. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

Alright. Just a status update. I went to the store and they said they would replace my phone but they would have to send it to me. This is rather good news because it means I will get to play around a little but to see if I am able switch over with nandroid or need another way etc. Its supposed to be here around Wed so ill let you guys now then.
  7. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

Well I finally got the phone. I have been trying this whole day trying to get this to work but no success at all. It would restore but once it got to the home screen it would freeze. I am having a hard time figuring out what is the cause of the issue. Anyone have any suggestions?
  8. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

If you are using SPRecovery, boot into recovery and chose wipe data and cache. Then go into the phone settings and restore to factory. This removes all the cache you restored from your previous phone. You will need to re-register the phone and then put your passwords and email settings back in. But from there you will begin building a new set of data and cache for the new phone.

Nate
  9. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

Well my goal was to be able to basically clone my old phone onto my new phone. Ive tried several things from only restoring system or restoring system and boot but none seem to have the ticket. I'm going to start from scratch and see what happens.
  10. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

And a separate situation which is causing this to go painfully slow, does anyone know why RSD Lite hates windows 7. haha Like ill get everything going but once i have chosen my sbf file i cannot hit the "Start" button.

Thanks for everything guys.
  11. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Probably related to admin rights in the directory where the SBF file resides. Some people find it easier to move to an XP machine and run it from there. I used a Vista machine where my user account is the admin account and had no trouble. Vista and Win7 use the same policies related to admin and user account controls so it should work. But trying to figure out how to control it when User Account Controls is turned on can be a real *****. I would suggest making sure user account controls is turned off (requires a re-boot) and be sure your account is the admin account for the entire machine.

Nate
  12. randomboy50

randomboy50 New Member

Nateccnn, thanks for the info. I still was getting issues so gave up for awhile. Apparently that did the trick because when i came back it worked fine.

As for a status update, I have finally made some headway. I have figured out that if I do a nandroid restore of just the system and boot i have zero issues but as soon as i restore data thats when it breaks. I finally took a look at what was in my DATA.tar to see if there may be any conflicting things. Then what i did was restored my phone with the previous files (BOOT, DATA, SYSTEM) but did not reboot. From there i used ADB shell and mounted data to go through it. During my searches I have found that if i delete the data folder inside of data it boots flawlessly.dancedroid So now i have something to really look into when i get home from work today. I suspect it has something to do with setCPU but i can't be sure.

Thanks everyone for the help.
  13. utkanos

utkanos New Member

Make sure you set the app to be run as administrator and then put the SBF file in the root of C:\

I had a ton of trouble getting Windows 7 to do anything with RSDLite at first but I figured out that it doesn't like nested directories very much.