1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Nandroid or Update?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by taypotts, Mar 2, 2010.

1. taypotts

taypotts New Member

Which is best to do? I mean is there really any difference when it comes to how smooth the ROM will actually run?
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

No, they are the same.

The only conceivable difference is that when you use nandroid, it will ERASE and re-create your entire system. the update.zip will only replace the files included in the rom.

If you have done a lot of hacking already, your existing changes will remain if you do an update.zip install. This could leave you with duplicate copies of applications or extra files that are not used. This could possibly mean some instability as well, but it is unlikely.

If you have only been installing ROMs, update.zip is probably perfectly fine, and won't mess with your data. Even if you have been changing things, try update.zip anyway, and only go to the nandroid if you are having issues.
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I've changed roms frequently and have only used the nandroid method one time and that was due to trying a 2.1 rom. All my other roms were 2.01 based. Update is quick and easy.
  4. christim

christim Super Moderator

The best to do? Follow the directions that come with the rom! :)

SG4.5 told me to do nandroid. I did and it worked great with no issues.
    SG5.0 told me to do Rom from disk. I did and it worked great with no issues.