Nandroid Issues: Stalling

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by markwebb, Jul 8, 2010.

1. markwebb

markwebb New Member

Lately, attempting to perform an Advanced backup in Nandroid has been spotty for me at best. Many times the process freezes or stalls at any of the "dumping .tar" steps and I have to pull battery and re-boot and re-try. Sometimes it completes after the 2nd and 3rd attempts. Sometimes it doesn't.

When working well, the backups were quick.

My battery is usually at 80-100% or I am usb connected for power.

I am not sure if a recent ROM I installed is creating the issue.

Suggestions? Do I need to re-install Nandroid? If so, how?
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I've only done one advanced nandroid back up ever. I take it you switch out roms so that's why you do a lot of back ups?

I'd clean out some of the old back ups that you know you don't use anymore in the Nandroid folder and see if that helps. I don't really see any reason in keeping more then 2 back ups. Just my opinion.
  3. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Mark, I was having the same problem last night too. It would get stuck at about 25% into it. It happened about 5 times for me. I ended up going to ROM Manager and re-flashing the Alternate Recovery 3x. I also rebooted by turning the phone off and holding the "x" on the keyboard. It then allowed me to finally do an advanced backup. I don't know if it was from reflashing or not using my "Quick Boot" program. I also don't know if you use ROM Manager or not, but I had earlier in the day, so I'm wondering if the SPRecovery problem was related to that. Let me know if this helps.
  4. markwebb

markwebb New Member

I will try your suggestion.

I am a semi NOOB - I only "rooted" about 3 weeks ago and have been "hooked," so to speak. Yes, I have been changing ROM's quite frequently, trying to find the perfect one (as you can intuit from my signature). :)

I always backup as you can tell. I probably can get rid of older ROM iterations.

I am also wondering if the sdcard is becoming flaky.

Thanks..will report back.

EDIT/UPDATE: I tried your suggestion about deleting old files. I dumped about 3 Gigs of Nandroid and My Backup Pro files. The Nandroid backup sped right along. Your suggestion helped it looks like...or coincidence. :) Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  5. bemymonkey

bemymonkey New Member

Hi, I'm having the same problem with ClockWorkMod Recovery on a rooted Desire.

Is it possible you had USB connected when it didn't work? Testing without USB now and it works perfectly. :icon_ banana:

Think that could have something to do with it?
  6. radioz

radioz New Member

How full is your memory card? You might see hangups like this if your card was full.

Another possibility is that your card got corrupted. You could copy its contents to you pc and then format it and copy everything back.
  7. bemymonkey

bemymonkey New Member

Memory card has 2GB free, and it's pretty much brand new. I've tested again, and it only happens when the USB cable is connected to a PC. Without the cable, or with the charger, everything works fine.

WTF? :p
Search tags for this page

droid phone backup stalled

galaxy s4 auto backup stalled

problems with droid bionic stalling