Nandroid Backup w/o using SPrecovery?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bamfsig45, Feb 3, 2010.

1. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to do this with say a 3rd party app if one were written? Just looking for and easier way to do daily backups or a scheduled backup. Is it possible or can sprecovery not be by-passed? Can it be done through terminal? It would be nice to open a program like droid root helper (or a similar app) and click "nandroid backup"

Just a thought.

2. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    nandroid backups are for system/boot/image files, etc., not really the backup of your data or apps.

3. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Isnt it an exact "picture/img" of the current state of your Droid? Before you do any changes to your Droid it is suggested you do a nandroid backup so you can revert back in case of issues. Backing up data, cache, misc ect would do the trick right?

4. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah but that's not something you'd want as a daily backup. whatever caused your issue would be resident in your backup.

5. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you are not seeing my point/idea. Just looking for a more convenient way to do a nandroid backup. People could do it as often as they like. But if your phone is running good then a quick tap of the button daily/weekely would back up your "img" to that point. And why would I not want it as a daily backup?

6. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm following you, just not sure it's that great of an idea... nandroid is part of SPRecovery, so it's not even an option, i'm just trying to help you explore what you're seeking.

7. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just didnt know if it could be made an option. Write an app that communicates with sp recovery, puts the phone in a state while it backs up then returns you to normal.

I always keep the stock 2.0.1 w/root rom and a couple of good nandroid backups of my current rom.

8. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As a backing upping fool, I agree not much reason to do a nandroid daily, as these are just sytem files. I think a more logical need would be to back up files that get changed, which are usually on the sdcard. I guess except for bookmarks, text messages or perhaps a few other things.

I have a market app that backs up bookmarks to the sd card. Astro backs up apps (not terribly needed but helpful). I also have dos batch files (or you could probably use linux script files) that I can execute when I plug my phone into usb and mount. They basically copy files and folders from the sd card to backup locations on my pc. While the entire process is not quite push one button, it is still only a few steps.

And in general, if you are relying completely on your sd card to backup your phone, at some point the card is gonna fail. As to backups in theory, one is none, two is one.......

Craig

9. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    google should already backup your bookmarks. at least it has for me. the market does a good job of restoring all of your apps (even free ones), when it works.

the only things i'd like to backup are my desktop settings (icon/widge layout) and individual app settings.

10. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    sweeterhome does this :D

11. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1

I have had no problems with google and apps, but no go with bookmarks. perhaps I have just not been patient enough:) But as I said, I am backup anal, and like things in duplicate.

I am certainly no app expert, but from all of the cruising I have done, I have never seen a link to a program that backs up all the settings you mention. Heck, I'd pay money for that one. So far this has been a nandroid thing, back to the op's original query.

Perhaps it is related to the fact that such an app would essentially allow complete system dumps, easily, which might tend to make google/vzw a little uneasy. A non-rooted market app to do this would have made roooting/recoverying pretty easy in the beginning. Heck, the market aps that are out there already get hinky about paid app backing up. Methinks there may be something at play here which is more related to phone politics than it is user ease.

So, I use the bits and pieces of backup programs out there, with a little help from google, drocap to screen capture individual program settings (like e-mail), nandroid, and pc batch files.

Craig

12. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    whether or not doing a nandorid back up daily is something some one wants to do or doesnt want to do isnt the point. Why would one not want to have a simple app that would allow a press of the button nandroid back-up (if its even possible)? Maybe Im not understanding because all I know is that when I restore my phone using a recent nandroid backup it goes back to the way I had it when I did that backup. Forget I said daily back-up, dont concern yourself with that because that method as a back-up tool doesn't appeal to you. Sure I can reboot into recovery when ever I want, just looking for an easier method. And I do keep copies of my backups on the PC.