Nandroid Backup/SPRecovery

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by PBarn, Sep 26, 2010.

1. PBarn

PBarn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I just flashed BB.05 from Peter Alfonso and wanted to restore my screen layouts and apps from a Nandroid backup. I have all of the categories checked off when I did the backup so I have all of them to choose from when doing a partial recovery.

I suppose I need to know what parts of the backup can I put back on without affecting the updated OS. So, what are functions of cache, misc, data, recovery, system, and boot?

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I regret to say that the Nandroid backup will not restore just a portion. It replaces the entire OS. If you want to save apps/data check out MybackUp Pro and Titanium. Both are excellent apps and well worth the few dollars.

Mike

3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    +1 on that.

Nandroids are great but they're COMPLETE backups. They replace everything that was there previously. If all you want is to back up your apps/texts/etc you'll need an app from the Market for that. See previous suggestions.

4. droijo

droijo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If you are using other launchers such as ADW or LauncherPro, it has the option to restore your desktop configuration.

5. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    DO NOT TRY THIS WITH OUT A BACKUP!!!!

You can try to restore JUST the data, but you might get a boot loop. When upgrading ROMs through the same developer, I will wipe/reset 3 times, flash the new ROM, and restore the Data to the new ROM. It restores my apps, messages, login info, etc. If you are changing Developers, I would expect boot loops, especially with bb 0.5