Nandroid Backup/restore question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by harpjames35, Feb 10, 2010.

1. harpjames35

harpjames35 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I used THIS walkthrough when I installed bugless beast. So i'm pretty sure i have a nanroid backup (please correct me if I'm mistaken). Up until now, I have been using the update.zip method of updating the BB roms each time Pete posts an update. Next time, I want to try performing a nandroid restore before going to BB 7.6 or whatever version is next.

My question is...if boot into recovery and perform a nandroid restore, will i loose all of my data, apps, and settings that i have installed and changed since this nandroid backup was created?

2. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you boot into recovery and choose backup/restore you will get another menu. Choose "Advanced Nandroid backup" and you will be given options on how deep you want to backup your droid. It will also let you name your backup. When you decide to restore, you should also choose "Advanced Nandroid restore" this will allow you to decide what depth of restoration you would like to do. The options given in each allow you to backup and restore the following:

BOOT
    CACHE
    DATA
    MISC
    RECOVERY
    SYSTEM

This way you can tailor just how much of the phone you want to backup and restore. If you choose each selection for a backup and restore each selection, you have essentially datestamped and cloned your phone from an exact moment in time, you would restore with text messages/emails/etc only up to the point of the actual backup. Generally a regular backup and restore will suffice, but it all depends on what state you want your phone to be in and how trusting you are in the ROM update you are receiving.

3. harpjames35

harpjames35 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the explanation. so let me then ask you this...

if i wanted to perform a restore using the backup that I made just before I went from stock to BB, would i be able to do this and restore to stock ROM and still keep my data, apps, and settings how they are now? if so, which options in the advanced restore would I select?

4. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Un-check the DATA if you want to keep your apps, settings, and messages...this would likely leave SYSTEM and BOOT checked by default.

If you are unsure that this is exactly the state you want do another backup of your phone before doing the restore as well....if you restore to a point thats unsatisfactory...just go to the backup you just created.

5. harpjames35

harpjames35 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. That answers my question. One last thing though just to make sure I'm clear...

When installing/updating the BB rom there are two options. Update.zip and the nandroid methods. When using the nandroid method do I have to use nandroid restore to go back to my original rom and then go to BB? Or do I use the BB nandroid file to restore, essentially restoring to the newest BB? And if I use BB nandroid file to update, can I still uncheck the data to keep all my stuff?

Thanks again.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    When you use Nandroid restore to the newest ROM you are essentially (assuming you choose to keep your data) installing the exact copy of what system and boot files Pete had on his phone to yours. I hope that makes sense...restore is not really restore in this case...think of it like this:

- Update.zip and Nandroid restore (with data unchecked) are like upgrading Windows with an upgrade disc in that you are keeping just about everything but the OS and boot

- Complete Nandroid restore (with data checked) is like formatting your hard drive and installing a fresh copy of Windows.

7. harpjames35

harpjames35 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ok i think i got it. so when i hear people make reference to the fact that they get better performance from bb by doing anandroid install of bb, they aren't just using nandroid to "restore" pete's newest version...they are wiping their phones of everything and then installing bb, right? so using nandroid to install bb while keeping data unchecked is essentially the same as just using the update.zip?

8. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Mostly, yes. But using the restore method eliminates old things as well. So sometimes using just the update.zip method keeps settings on your phone that were deleted before. For example, say in 7.2 Pete adds an App called WHATEVER. In 7.3 he deletes WHATEVER. Sometimes users have reported that using the update.zip method to go to 7.3 they still have the app called WHATEVER whereas with the Nandroid you wouldn't.

Honestly there is a debate as to what works best. I've updated only using update.zip, used a Nandroid restore, and done a complete wipe and restore.

For me, I would say do a complete restore (I back up my apps and system settings using MyBackupPro) and then restore apps and settings only...if switching ROMs or a major upgrade. If there are major fixes, you are having problems, or you just want to be 100% sure you are getting exactly what Pete or whoever intended for you to get for that update, I would do a complete wipe (save the apps and settings) and restore. Keep in mind if you COMPLETELY wipe your phone and use the update.zip method then restore your apps and settings from a 3rd party software like I do, it's no different than using the Nandroid method.

That's just my opinion though, it doesn't mean it's correct. And I'm tired as hell right now so that post might not have made a lick of sense.

9. Orakle

Orakle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you choose which back up you want to restore? For Example I made a back up and called it BuglessBeastOne & another one called SmokedOne. My question is if you only have the option of restore to latest how do you tell the droid which out of the ones I named I want to restore?

Thank you much.!

10. tatord4tot

tatord4tot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How come when i boot into recovery i dont even have the restore/backup option??

11. tatord4tot

tatord4tot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How come when i boot into recovery i dont even have the restore/backup option??

12. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Did you install a custom recovery like SPRecovery or Clockworkrecovery? If not, that is why.

13. tatord4tot

tatord4tot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, how do you do that? I'm new to this stuff

14. tatord4tot

tatord4tot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just need someone to explain what i all need to put on my phone to put on a new rom. My phone has everythong on it that it would out of the box. So what should i all need?

15. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Did you update to the 2.1 OTA? If so http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

I highly recommend you read around first before jumping into it. The more you know going in the better off you will be. E2A There are some stickies here, the hacking FAQ section, not to mention the tons of threads here. There are videos on youtube as well. Keep in mind rooting a 2.01 phone is a slightly different process than rooting a 2.1 phone.

Search tags for this page
advanced nandroid restore

nandroid advanced restore

nandroid advanced restore options
nandroid advanced restore process
nandroid advanced restore system
nandroid backup advanced restore
nandroid petet
recover nandroid backup save settinhs
what option would i choose in advance restore menu when i re
whatcis advance restore in nanodriod