1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Nandroid Backup Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jphudy, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jphudy

jphudy New Member

So, I just went from Bugless 0.71 to 0.74 using nandroid. For my future reference, is there any way to copy all my data (like texts), from my old version to my new one?
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    If you just use the update.zip version instead of nandroid you don't lose anything.
  3. Kickbut101

Kickbut101 New Member

What are the disadvantages to doing the update.zip method instead of a new Rom install?
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

No man there is not any way to keep your data if you do the nandroid method...
  5. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

When you do the advance nandroid restore to load the new rom uncheck "data". It will load the new system,boot, etc. But keep your data the same.

Edit: Read up on bugless for some reason dev put some apps in /data/app/ instead of leaving them in /system/app/. Doesnt make any sense. If you dont want to lose your data everytime try Adam Z's Somked Glass..Bugless is based off it.

Or you could install the hacks yourself its really easy! Keep you data/phone the way you want it and you dont have to wait for someone else to install a hack for you!
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

So basically what you're saying is there is no way to not lose your information?
  7. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

There is a way. Switch to a rom that doesn't require you to wipe your data. Or do stuff on your own. Start with a rom and make it your own. When new stuff comes out like "multi-touch maps" search the forums and find out how to do it. The new version of bugless just added the multi touch maps. And people lost their data to upgrade it when in less then 5 mins they could have had it plus kept data!

So YES THERE IS A WAY!
  8. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah that is true...and I forgot that you could keep your data by not checking Data on the Advanced Nandroid Restore....my bad!

And yeah yesterday morning whenever I woke up I said "I guarantee theres a way I can hack multitouch Maps on to my Droid since the Nexus officially got yesterday" so I checked Droid Forums and there it was! Just like I figured! I downloaded the file and used ADB shell and had it on my Droid in about five minutes! But since I'm running Bugless Beast and I like to stay up to date with software, about thirty minutes later Pete released BB 7.4 and my little ADB Maps hack became completely worthless...so yeah what I'm saying though, lol, is that you can install everything on your own if you want too...
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Ok, so if I wanted to use Nandroid and keep everything...I would create a backup with ONLY data checked, and then restore the new ROM version with the zip file provided by Pete or whoever, THEN do ANOTHER restore with JUST data checked from the one I backed up before upgrading?
  10. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

Just uncheck "data" when you do the restore to install the new rom. But the problem with bugless is you won't get the app upgrades "ie multi touch maps". Because dev put them in /data/app. Forcing you to check data to get the upgraded .apk's and lose ur data.

If you backed up your data. Then installed the rom. Then restored ur data from before the upgrade you still wouldn't have the upgraded .apk's. I don't know how else to put it.
  11. otaku

otaku New Member

[​IMG]

Never had to wipe /data...
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I'll probably just continue to use the update.zip....I did a fresh nandroid today and really I don't notice a difference.