nandroid back up help please

txter

Reaction score
ive searched all over here, google, etc,...i want to back up my D2 and i cant get it. im rooted. i installed Quickboot. i also got to that ! in the triangle through a cmd prompt i got from another page. i installed a file "recovery-0.99.2b.img" to the root of my sd card. this is as far as i can get. everything about holding the power button and holding ALT + X doesnt work. i dont have clockworkmod or sp recovery installed cause i figured why pay for it if i can do it for free.
i hate to ask this again, but ive read so many pages i getting things all twisted in my head now trying to remember where i read what.
any help or link would be great...thx

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No worries friend. Check the post in the rescue squad section and find a thread or PM a RS member. They have all the answers. I'm still with D1 sorry I couldn't help you myself

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The droid 2 does not support sprecovery at the time. The only way to get a custom recovery is through bootstrap. I am assuming that you are already rooted using the methods for the droid 2. If not stop and read and get an understanding before you proceed. It sounds like you are getting the droid 2 mixed up with the droid 1.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
The droid 2 does not support sprecovery at the time. The only way to get a custom recovery is through bootstrap. I am assuming that you are already rooted using the methods for the droid 2. If not stop and read and get an understanding before you proceed. It sounds like you are getting the droid 2 mixed up with the droid 1.

You might want to note in your sig that some of the links/info in your signature ("Droid SBF") are not applicable to a D2...confusing when you are posting in the D2 forum w/that info in your sig, as the link includes instructions to install sprecovery, references to FRG22D, etc., and new D2 owners might not get that Droid doesn't mean all Droids. :)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
ive searched all over here, google, etc,...i want to back up my D2 and i cant get it. im rooted. i installed Quickboot. i also got to that ! in the triangle through a cmd prompt i got from another page. i installed a file "recovery-0.99.2b.img" to the root of my sd card. this is as far as i can get. everything about holding the power button and holding ALT + X doesnt work. i dont have clockworkmod or sp recovery installed cause i figured why pay for it if i can do it for free.
i hate to ask this again, but ive read so many pages i getting things all twisted in my head now trying to remember where i read what.
any help or link would be great...thx

Assuming you really are rooted:

1. Install Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery from the market ($2)
2. Run Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery (that installs Clockwork Recovery)
3. Select Bootstrap Recovery option
4. Select Reboot Recovery option

That will boot you in to Clockwork Recovery (aka CWR).

Select the Backup option in CWR to make a nandroid backup of your current setup. It will be saved on your SD card in Clockwork/Backup, using todays date as the name.

To navigate in CWR, volume up/down to move selection up down, camera button to select option, power button to move up a level in the menu.

To boot to recovery from Android, you can use the bootstrap program.

You can also download ROM Manager from the market to boot into CWR, start a backup, and install ROMs.

To boot into recovery from a powered down droid:

1. Power on
2. Pull battery when the boot animation (e.g., droid eye) appears
3. Re-insert battery and power on again

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

1. Power on

I don't know that much about the D2 but that can't be the best way!

Power on while holding X doesn't do it?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Redflea - the bootstrap is free on koush's website.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
and im pretty sure bootstrap doesnt actually install clockwork. you need rom manager to flash clockwork (easiest way)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

1. Power on

I don't know that much about the D2 but that can't be the best way!

Power on while holding X doesn't do it?

Nope - that gets you the stock recovery.

On the D2 the stock recovery isn't replaced, it's still there...you get by the stock recovery to Clockwork Recovery due to the bootstrap that Koush came up with, so the only way to launch CWR from Android using ROM Manager or the Bootstrap program, or via the battery pull technique above from powered down.

Remember, you only need to use the battery pull process above if you are powered down for some reason - most likely need is if you're Droid got into a boot loop and you need to flash back to a working backup. If your droid is up and running simply use ROM Manager or Droid Bootstrap to launch recovery.

One user reported intermittent success using the power button and camera button, I believe, but it did not work consistently at all.

Nature of the beast w/the D2 bootloader locked...small price to pay for all the freedom we have on the D2 thanks to Kouh's bootstrap.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nope - that gets you the stock recovery.

On the D2 the stock recovery isn't replaced, it's still there...you get by it due to the bootstrap that Koush came up with, and the only way to launch is from Android using ROM Manager or the Bootstrap program, or via the battery pull technique above.

Remember, you only need to use the battery pull if you are powered down for some reason - most likely need is if you're Droid got into a boot loop and you need to flash back to a working backup. If your droid is up and running simply use ROM Manager or Droid Bootstrap to launch recovery.

Thanks Redflea, learn something new every day:)

OP
txter

txter

Reaction score
i DL bootstrap to my phone. do i also need Clockwork to run this? i dont see a way to run bootstrap in the files or in the menu of apps.
...(i cant beleive how different android is from WM. this is new to me. D2 is my first device and ive only had it for 2 weeks)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i DL bootstrap to my phone. do i also need Clockwork to run this? i dont see a way to run bootstrap in the files or in the menu of apps.
...(i cant beleive how different android is from WM. this is new to me. D2 is my first device and ive only had it for 2 weeks)

you install bootstrap, then flash clockwork (using rom manager)

then when you boot, bootstrap allows u to use clockwork by overriding the boot process

OP
txter

txter

Reaction score
so i do need to DL and flash CW?... then use rom manager to start all this?
i have rom manager installed already and quickboot installed