1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

NAND unlock help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Youseikun, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Youseikun

Youseikun New Member

I rooted my moto droid running 2.2 using the sbf lite method, but when I tryed to install busybox (via the busybox installer app) it gave me an error saying nand was not unlocked. Is there a way to do this after I have already rooted my phone?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Yes there is. What I will describe uses adb, but you can adjust for using a terminal on your phone if you wish. Grab the busybox binary from somewhere, I think I have it in .zip form in my collection, extract it, put just the binary on your sdcard. Then using adb use the following commands:
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaff2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    mkdir /system/xbin
    cd /system/xbin
    cp /sdcard/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
    chmod 0755 busybox
    busybox --install .
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot
    good luck
  3. Youseikun

Youseikun New Member

I will try this, thanks for the reply

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. snjfinances

snjfinances New Member

This didn't work for me using Terminal Emulator

Hello Teddy,

I have the same problem. Your instructions up there make perfect sense, however after receiving Superuser permissions, in Terminal Emulator, all of the other commands are returned with permission denied or access denied, or similar. This is turning into a very huge problem for me, and I have no ideas left.

Please let me know what to do.

Best,
    SNJ
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Well, I got your pm and since you also posted this in a thread, I'll answer in the thread so when it's fixed others can benefit.

First off you said you're running CM 6.1.2. CM already has busybox installed, so you shouldn't need to install it nor really have need to update it via Sterickson's busybox updater app. You also say you have TiBu (Titanium), does it work at all? Because if it does, then busybox is installed and properly. I am going to allude to this since you asked in the PM about doing a nandroid backup and using TiBu to backup your apps. Another thing you mentioned in your pm is that you can't mount system as r/w. When granting su permission with the Superuser .apk make _sure_ you are also selecting the "remember" box. Your WiFi isn't working. All these things tell me something wasn't quite done right along the way, or you experienced a bit of a hiccup somehow. It happens.

To fix, one thing is to go to your app drawer, select Superuser and erase all the permissions that it has granted and start over from there. That _might_ ultimately fix your r/w and some other superuser related problems. But my gut says to go ahead and use rom manager to make a backup, then do a factory data reset and then restore your backup. Yes, I know it doesn't make sense to restore a backup of a system with hiccups, but trust me I have fixed things many times doing just that. Failing all this (I know, you don't want to), install the rom fresh (with a data/cache wipe) first and reset it up, but don't try to update su, superuser.apk, nor busybox. Also, I am not a fan of TiBu at ALL. I have experienced and seen it cause more problems than good, though there will be a whole chorus of folks who will disagree. There is something about the way it restores your apk's (and mainly data) that will give you problems especially going from one android version rom to another. Actually I don't recomend restring app data at all. I use MyBackupPro but you can use My Backup Root which is free. But I still try to just let the market restore my apps and/or redownload them on a fresh install. I do use it to backup and restore these data items: call log, sms, mms, and bookmarks.

And I have NEVER had any major problems with install, backups, restores and my phone that is now over two years old is still going just as well as day one (well better, since it's rooted and running my own flavor of CM 6)

good luck
  6. snjfinances

snjfinances New Member

Hi Teddy!

Well since I've been having issues with writing to /system/, others have told me to update busybox to the newest version. That is why I was trying to do that. ALSO, I have found a fix for the wifi that requires me to replace a few of the WLAN files in /system/xbin, so that's why full root is so important to me. I WAS able to write to /system/ after rooting, as I never had problems with busybox updating prior to going to CM 6.

I am not the hugest fan of TiBu either, but I do know enough not to have restored any of my data except for completely unrelated apps. I didn't restore any system related apps either, so I'm not sure what could have gone wrong. To answer your question, TiBu works perfectly, as do the vast majority of root apps.

I always select the remember box when granting su permissions. In case I messed up, though, I tried removing the su permissions. I re-allowed them all, but still no change.

Next up, I'm going to try backing up and restoring. Before starting anew i will try going back to stock root and redoing the CM 6.1.2. If still nothing changes, then I will start anew.

Thank you! I will let you know what happens!
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

AFAIK, the wlan file(s) reside in /system/lib, the main one is twilan.lo.

But yes, let me know how it goes.

good luck
Search tags for this page
android nand unlock
how to unlock nand on android
nand locked devices

nand unlock

nand unlock android 2.2
nand unlock apk

nand unlocked

nand unlocked device

nand unlocker apk