Name an App that Justifys a $30 data plan

ScooberJake

Reaction score
search for apps you would use. I have had my Droid for 3 days and already can't imagine paying a phone bill (even if it is $30 less) just to talk and text.

This.

Rather than wondering if the smartphone plan is overpriced, I keep thinking how overpriced the non-smartphone plans are! I can only imagine downgrading to a less capable phone if it saved me a TON of money.

Slickx45

Reaction score
Everything listed already + the GPS / Mapping functionality of the device make it well worth the extra $ / month for the data plan.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? You have almost all the resources one could need (and want). The possibilities of this mini computer you have in your pocket, are damn near endless. Its really hard to make it much more convenient for a person to have this sort of technology. But if you don't appreciate this kind of super fast informational tool in your life then maybe you shouldn't have it in the first place...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Without it I would have to either lug my laptop with me everywhere or stay home during the day. I work from home and must get emails all day long and be able to log onto my computer at home to run some proprietary company programs. The Droid and the data plan let's me do both. Then, not work related, I have the Droid to surf the web and read message boards, like this one, while I'm waiting on stuff (like the wife while she shops). Also for play, I use it to search restaurants and movie times while we're out and about.

mbeatle

Reaction score
Google Maps Navigation sealed the deal for me. Being able to settle bets with a Google search is a close second. Pandora and Slacker radio are also great boons in the battle against boredom.

mikes

Reaction score
It's not any 1 app, it's all of them. The ability to stream media (Pandora/Youtube), check/send/receive email, browse the web, get weather info, etc. Without limit. This is a much wider range of utility than phones which just have a browser.

The "3G Smartphones," for which VZW requires the $30 data plan, can all transfer data without user intervention. That's significantly different than the lower class phones which just do web browsing. I'm sure part of the requirement is to avoid ignorant customers from complaining about $500 bills when "they didn't do anything," but their phone racked up a large monthly data transfers.

miamidroid

Reaction score
honestly I dont think you should get the fone.. if you havent needed a smart phone before, chances are you aren't gunna find the $30 extra justifiable

zenkiderek

Reaction score
search for apps you would use. I have had my Droid for 3 days and already can't imagine paying a phone bill (even if it is $30 less) just to talk and text.

adding to this. think of your 5 favorite hobbies. there are apps for at least 4 of them.

lockman

Reaction score
Google is your friend, and the ability to spend as much time with your friend as you want, no matter where you are, is worth at least $30.00.:)

DroidFan

Reaction score
All my email accounts
My Google Maps GPS/navigation system
Google Voice
My Web Browser (I'm using Dolphin specifically, but no matter)

The top 3 is enough for me to spend $30/mo in of itself, the rest is just gravy!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Google.com

CYBER DROIID

Reaction score
Look at it this way ..........Now you "DONT" have to buy ......
an ipod or MP3 player $150.00 Plus now you dont hav e to buy evil Apple.
GPS =$200.00 plus you get street view .....come on dude how cool is that.
Seris or XM = $75.00 player $13.00 a month "one word (Pandora)"
camera= maybe $150.00
Plus
email
calendar
facebook
myspace
youtube
Google voice
Google talk
Plus apps that will "save" you money in the long run.
Shop savvy or barcoadreader
my coupons
Pod cast
weather
Plus a huge load of others........mini computer allways ready to go and every where with you.
There is only one thing it cant do for me that I wish it would, but sadly I can't say as it would get deleted and probably have me banned. Even though "ALL" of you would agree with me on it....... "If it could only *********** Id never leave the house"

jrod2183

Reaction score
Look at it this way ..........Now you "DONT" have to buy ......
an ipod or MP3 player $150.00 Plus now you dont hav e to buy evil Apple.
GPS =$200.00 plus you get street view .....come on dude how cool is that.
Seris or XM = $75.00 player $13.00 a month "one word (Pandora)"
camera= maybe $150.00
Plus
email
calendar
facebook
myspace
youtube
Google voice
Google talk
Plus apps that will "save" you money in the long run.
Shop savvy or barcoadreader
my coupons
Pod cast
weather
Plus a huge load of others........mini computer allways ready to go and every where with you.
There is only one thing it cant do for me that I wish it would, but sadly I can't say as it would get deleted and probably have me banned. Even though "ALL" of you would agree with me on it....... "If it could only *********** Id never leave the house"

I think this needs a "booya" or "Can I get an AMEN?" at the end of it, maybe a "THAT JUST HAPPENED!"

moot

Reaction score
The data plan isn't for apps...

It's for unlimited access to the internet. That is what you're paying for.