Naked Droid falls 10 feet to concrete, laughs

Shanged

Reaction score
Yesterday was a ****ty day, it was pissing rain at 9am as I walked to class. I was strolling past Dunkin Donuts, heading for some steps, and I decided to see if I had enough time to stop in for some nice hot chocolate. (Note: I was approaching from the top)
2010-03-16%2010.43.52.jpg

As I reached the top step and put my hand in my pocket I had a vision. I watched myself in third person, pulling the phone out, lifting it up and watching it fly out of my hand. I quickly shrugged it off and proceeded to pull my phone out. Then it happened. I lifted the phone up to check the time, and it flew out of my hand... Wait, what? There it went, landing right on the bottom step, ejecting the battery cover and battery. I quickly snatched up all the pieces and shoved them into my pocket, lest they get wet. Once I get to class I put it all back together and held the power button down, without high hopes. Low and behold, the droid boots up without a hiccup, screen is 100% responsive and nothing seems loose.

To wrap this up, the bezel has some scratches, and the corner where the initial impact occurred has a couple pits in it. Other than that, I haven't seen any issues, and the screen is crackless! I am amazed. In retrospect, the droid acted just like an F1 car, designed to break apart to disperse the energy, protecting the valuable contents. I no longer have doubts about the durability of my Droid. :motdroidvert:

DSCF3834.JPG

lunapic_126878799568002_5.jpg

lunapic_126878799568002_2.jpg

loop4zil

Reaction score
Great post. That title killed me. Nice pics. I now have more confidence than ever

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad it's OK, but it still makes me shudder....

NVash

Reaction score
Ive dropped mine a million times, a few times so hard that the case broke off. Now the front of the case is permanently broken off and I only have a back. Oddly, it still falls. But thankfully, it hasnt sustained one scratch. Now it seems to fall screen first alot though, thats getting me a little concerned.

But this story is good. Im glad youre Droid isnt busted up, just like Im glad my own isnt. This thing can really take a hit.

twinkie57

Reaction score
Thats neat that it didnt bust on you. I have dropped mine from dinner table height and almost had a heat attack thinking it was broke. But as you mentioned, it comes apart and everything is all good when its put back together.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I no longer have doubts about the durability of my Droid.
The thing is that you never know with drops. It's certainly possible to end up with far worse damage. You were definitely lucky.

Blizz127

Reaction score
Actually!! I'm looking for that particular part, I'd like to replace mine. I have the same dents and dings.. Anyone know where I can get one?

OP
Shanged

Shanged

Reaction score
So a few days after the incident, it seems I didn't get away completely scott free. Ever since the drop I have gotten terrible (and by terrible I mean 0) reception in my apartment. I used to be able to make calls and receive texts/email no problem (on 3G or wifi). Now I can't make a single call, If a call happens to go out it gets dropped as soon as the person says hello.

I tend to think it's unrelated, since I can make calls everywhere else no problem (I've never had a problem with call quality on this phone). Is there a way to report dead-zones to Verizon, especially if they were previously fine?

Azeke

Reaction score
Perhaps you should reboot your phone first, if you haven't already, just to be sure. Do you have any insurance? I slipped and fell on some ice not long ago, experienced some cosmetic damage. However, I have not experienced any issues. Since then I have ordered the SEIDIO case for protection. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's awesome bro it wasn't harmed seriously :)

That's what my Droid looks like though with the little nicks on the sides from where I've dropped mine too.

demon69120

Reaction score
We always joke around of the Droid's durability. The things so compact which helps a lot as well as the steel border protruding around the whole phone. Gorilla glass and all that jazz can take a hit.

OP
Shanged

Shanged

Reaction score
Perhaps you should reboot your phone first, if you haven't already, just to be sure. Do you have any insurance? I slipped and fell on some ice not long ago, experienced some cosmetic damage. However, I have not experienced any issues. Since then I have ordered the SEIDIO case for protection. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

It has been nearly a week, so the phone's been rebooted (and even got a new battery). I've also tried *228, but I can't get enough of a signal to even go through that. Outside of the building it's fine as I said. I also own a Seidio case (and love it) but go through periods of using it and not (it's like a new phone every time!) this happened to be a week I wasn't using my case.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
Glad your Droid is alive and well! I am an auto mechanic (as if you couldn't tell) and I keep mine is my pocket or on top of my toolbox depending on the work I am doing. I have had people look at me like I am a fool using a phone such as this in an environment such as that, but I keep telling them it is quite rugged. I have dropped it on the floor a couple of times with no ill effects at all. The only protection she has is the Zagg Skin that is on the back and a Zagg screen protector.