N64oid Crashing upon Rom Load

Dmw017

Reaction score
So N64oid worked near flawlessly on my previous Motorola Triumph
Now I tried it today on my new Droid 3 and most of the games crash as soon as I load one up. Super Smash Bros was the exception, which crashed (consistently) when I would try to get into the character selection screen (basically start up any mode).
Anyone experienced this before?
I tried messing with the settings but nothing helped.

Edit: Btw my Roms/Bios is on the internal storage (aka SD card as the droid 3 considers it)

rushmore

Reaction score
Different chipset. You need 2.1 our higher. I had similar issues.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
2.1 or higher of what? Im running 2.3.4 gingerbread
If the Droid 3 seriously is incapable of running an n64 emulator with its dual-core omap4 processor when my piece of crap prepaid Motorola Triumph could run it easily, im going to have to consider returning it. Why pay $600 for a phone and pay four times as much per month when it can't do the one seemingly simple but crucial thing I need it to.
What a downer.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
Alright I did some research on the Droid 3's gpu and according to Yongzh's reqs for n64oid, a gpu capable of OpenGL 2.0 or higher is needed.

The PowerVR SGX 540 found in the D3 is just that. The gpu in my previous phone, the Triumph, had the adreno 205 gpu where n64oid ran flawlessly.
I went into the n64oid's advanced settings and set the GFX to use the original plugin, where some objects don't render properly or at all and the fps is a lot more rocky, but it worked on my D3. Still, I don't see why the sgx540 should have any problems running n64oid with its original gfx plugin.

Is there any hope that the issue im having with my gpu will be fixed in a future update (maybe sometime this year)? Is the sgx just not powerful enough for this emulator to run at its full capacity or is it too overpowered in a sense?

I can't see how the D3 can run things like Nova and score next to the Sensation in benchmarks, all the while using a more powerful processor and 540x960, yet stumble on this app emulating games +10 years old.

After getting my D3 yesterday, I threw away any interest I had in the Nexus 3, but with this problem coming up, the N3 caught my eye again. I'm a big fan of playing old/classic games with emulators and the n64oid was my "pride and joy" back on the Triumph. With the D3s keyboard, the n64 would've been a lot more fun for quite a few games.

So yeah, is there any chance this issue will be fixed, or is there a "fix" available now to somehow make the gpu compatible?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

edit: Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, and Rampage work with the normal graphics engine, havent tested out every rom I have yet. I don't get it, some games work but others dont? Figured clearing data and reinstalling would help, nope. Also running a rom off an external SD card instead of internal storage, nope.
According to every site I could scavenge off of Google, the SGX540 supports opengl es 2.0 and is better than the Adreno 205 which my last phone had. OpenGL-ES 2.1 was released in 2007 but neither gpu says anything about supporting it so I don't think that has something to do with the issue here.

Last edited:

rushmore

Reaction score
If the Droid 3 seriously is incapable of running an n64 emulator with its dual-core omap4 processor when my piece of crap prepaid Motorola Triumph could run it easily, im going to have to consider returning it. Why pay $600 for a phone and pay four times as much per month when it can't do the one seemingly simple but crucial thing I need it to.
What a downer.

Sorry, meant 2.1 or higher for N64Oid version. It is a given you are using 2.3 on the D3.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
Yeah im running 2.2.1, latest version.
After testing out more of my roms, it seems only a handful are unable to start up at all. However the majority of my games do have major graphical issues or crash after entering a level or getting past the main menus.
Contacted the developer and sent him a debug log. Hopefully this gets fixed soon, at least for Zelda OoT lol.

rushmore

Reaction score
Real64 is another N64 app and does have device issues There are graphics issues and a lot of games crash when trying to play them. They work fine on my Thrive, but it has a Tegra 2. Seems that Real64 does not like the 4430 chipset in the Droid 3.

Last edited:

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Wow just had the same problem, didn't search thought something was wrong with the rom, just happened to stumble upon this. I'm sad, I want to run oot aswell, idk hopefully yongzh will fix this

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
Coincidently the same thing happens with Asphalt 5 HD. This omap processor is starting to be a bit of a downer.

I looked through the debug logs when the N64 roms crashed and it noted several times "pixel shader compile failed" or something along those lines.

REMilk

Reaction score
What a downer.

In my book, game playing is not crucial! If one of the installed apps is not working, now that is crucial.

matthileo

Reaction score
Menu > settings > advances settings > GFX plugin
Chose the one that says "the original" in parentheses

[sent from my droid]

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
Menu > settings > advances settings > GFX plugin
Chose the one that says "the original" in parentheses

[sent from my droid]

Yeah covered that already.
That graphics engine doesn't render a lot of objects/environments properly and kills your framerate.

matthileo

Reaction score
Works alright for me on Zelda OOT. Definitely not perfect, but still playable

[sent from my droid]

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
Works alright for me on Zelda OOT. Definitely not perfect, but still playable

[sent from my droid]

I played OoT on my last phone with the touchscreen controls and it hindered my gameplay quite a bit. With lower fps and a handful of places and items not even showing up properly, I'd rather wait until the graphics engine issue is resolved before continuing my file.
I only tested the old GFX for a few minutes but already I saw that doors were blank white and the area between Hyrule Field and the Market was pitch black. I'm sure there are a lot more areas that suffer from the same problem but I don't want to play through the game just to get stuck somewhere because the game couldn't render a dungeon room properly or something.

matthileo

Reaction score
I played OoT on my last phone with the touchscreen controls and it hindered my gameplay quite a bit. With lower fps and a handful of places and items not even showing up properly, I'd rather wait until the graphics engine issue is resolved before continuing my file.
I only tested the old GFX for a few minutes but already I saw that doors were blank white and the area between Hyrule Field and the Market was pitch black. I'm sure there are a lot more areas that suffer from the same problem but I don't want to play through the game just to get stuck somewhere because the game couldn't render a dungeon room properly or something.

Wow. That's way worse than mine. The FPS is tolerable, but not perfect.
Sometimes people's bodies will render incorrectly (black) but their heads will be fine, and occasionally some background texture will screw up, but nothing that makes it hard to play.

Trying to play OOT using the touchscreen controls is far more of a problem than any technical issues.