N2 staying power

Nice95gle

Reaction score
Within the past year I've had (not in any particular order) a thunderbolt...droid X2... iPhone...LG revolution...sgs3...razr maxx...and now the Note2.

I'm hoping that the N2 could be the one for the next 2 years.

My question is, do you guys think that the N2 can stay relevant for a while.

Looks likes the S3 is not falling off a cliff, like a lot of the phones that comes out and after a month you never hear about it again.

Reaction score
I think so. I remember my Bionic was dead when the Razr came out a month later. Granted spec wise the Bionic held its own against the Razr, it still was forgotten about. The last update made my phone laggy as can be, hence a perfect reason to get the N2.

As long as Samsung doesnt screw up a future update ( we really need 4.2.2 as speech to text over bluetooth is broken on the current OS).

The N2 is super fast and I definitely see it holding up.

jseah

Reaction score
The Galaxy S line is Samsung's flagship phone, and the Galaxy Note line is Samsung's only phablet, so I can see these phones being "relevant" for quite a while. Of course how long they last will also rely heavily on how long Samsung will continue to support it. If they won't be upgraded to Key Lime Pie when it becomes available, then they will become outdated within a year. Look at the Galaxy S II. That phone is still being sold as new by some carriers.

Caesars

Reaction score
Yes :)

I just can't believe any phone can Come out that would wow me enough to drop a retail price / upgrade, this phone is just too wowing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

blowabs

Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing as feb. is my upgrade month. I have friends who hate their S's ...i have a Maxx...and was allllllllll set to get the Maxx HD n i discovered this GN2 n was i bowled over after a lil demo! Hmmmmm...which way should i go...?...?...

Tonik

Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing as feb. is my upgrade month. I have friends who hate their S's ...i have a Maxx...and was allllllllll set to get the Maxx HD n i discovered this GN2 n was i bowled over after a lil demo! Hmmmmm...which way should i go...?...?...

By Feb we should know the specs on the S4. It might be a real contender too. I am thrilled with my Note and won't switch to an S4 but since you are waiting until then it might be worth a look.

blowabs

Reaction score
Hmmmm....ok if it's not gonna be as big then i plight not consider it. I guess i should look at the the 3 and see if that will give me an idea...thx.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The Note 2 will probably be the premiere device in its category until the Note 3 comes out next fall. Other manufacturers, seeing the success Samsung has had, might try to release a competitor in the first half of next year that will have marginally better specs, but they won't be able to compete with the features and overall polish Samsung has with the Note 2. Samsung learned a lot from the first Note, and that experience in this category puts them far ahead of anyone else for the foreseeable future.

I usually switch to a new phone every 2-3 months, but the Note 2 will be the first phone I keep for a year or more (until the Note 3 comes out, depending on the advancements are made with it). Once you get used to this phone, which doesn't take long at all, you don't want anything else.

blowabs

Reaction score
Thx Bsweet...
You've got the experience with smartphones i see. ...tired of my Maxx, tired of my iphone4s...the features, as you say, has me picking the Maxx HD (wow N3 in the fall with the N2 just releasing-- hope they don't forget the N2 with updates?)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thx Bsweet...
You've got the experience with smartphones i see. ...tired of my Maxx, tired of my iphone4s...the features, as you say, has me picking the Maxx HD (wow N3 in the fall with the N2 just releasing-- hope they don't forget the N2 with updates?)

A fall release for the Note 3 will be a year after the release of the Note 2, so it's in keeping with the refresh schedule of most major devices (Galaxy S, iPhone, etc). U.S. carriers launched the Note 2 about a month after the international release, and Verizon released theirs a month after that. Absolutely nothing has been rumored for the release of the Note 3, but given Samsung's typical refresh cycle, a fall release seems likely. And I would worry about the Note 2 and updates for at least the next two years. Samsung has been updating their flagship devices quite well.

I'm curious why you'd go with the MAXX HD due to features. It lags significantly behind the Note 2 and the S3 in terms of features. In fact, even though it was released months after the S3, it's overall specs are actually behind the S3. And in many ways, it's not all that much different than the first MAXX, so if you're bored with that one, the HD won't give you much of a change. It's a great phone no doubt, and a solid choice, but you just don't really see anyone saying they chose it because of the features it offers. :)

blowabs

Reaction score
A fall release for the Note 3 will be a year after the release of the Note 2, so it's in keeping with the refresh schedule of most major devices (Galaxy S, iPhone, etc). U.S. carriers launched the Note 2 about a month after the international release, and Verizon released theirs a month after that. Absolutely nothing has been rumored for the release of the Note 3, but given Samsung's typical refresh cycle, a fall release seems likely. And I would worry about the Note 2 and updates for at least the next two years. Samsung has been updating their flagship devices quite well.

I'm curious why you'd go with the MAXX HD due to features. It lags significantly behind the Note 2 and the S3 in terms of features. In fact, even though it was released months after the S3, it's overall specs are actually behind the S3. And in many ways, it's not all that much different than the first MAXX, so if you're bored with that one, the HD won't give you much of a change. It's a great phone no doubt, and a solid choice, but you just don't really see anyone saying they chose it because of the features it offers. :)

I meant i would choose the GN2 instead of the HD...sorry i wasnt clear.
GN2 looks a bit more [body] fragile than hd...even tho i am pretty careful...as i am a no case guy...but still i like the repl. batt. feat...which maxx n ip4s never had.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I meant i would choose the GN2 instead of the HD...sorry i wasnt clear.
GN2 looks a bit more [body] fragile than hd...even tho i am pretty careful...as i am a no case guy...but still i like the repl. batt. feat...which maxx n ip4s never had.

Samsung catches a lot of flack for the build quality of their devices, but in my opinion, those attacks are entirely misplaced. I'll agree that something like the MAXX HD definitely feels like it's more substantial and durable in hand, but feel and reality can be two very different things. The materials used for the MAXX HD are very rigid and inflexible. In a drop, that doesn't necessarily protect the device very well because it has no way to absorb or transfer the energy from the fall upon impact. I'm certainly not knocking the build quality of the MAXX HD or of Motorola devices in general. I've owned several, and they're top notch devices in many ways, including build quality.

The plastics used in the S3 and Note 2 not only make the devices lighter, but they also provide far more flex upon impact, which can help absorb the energy. In most drop test videos, you'll also see that the door of the Note 2 and S3 often fly off upon impact. This helps to disperse the energy from the fall instead of keeping it all within the device.

Of course, individual experiences will vary greatly. One person could drop the MAXX HD or the Note 2 one hundred times and never have any problems, but a different person would drop either one just a single time and due some serious damage. There are a lot of things that go into the build quality of various devices, and there are a lot of factors in their durability.

All of that said, in reality the Note 2 is far more durable than it feels to many people. So, I really wouldn't worry about that at all.

jseah

Reaction score
Of course, individual experiences will vary greatly. One person could drop the MAXX HD or the Note 2 one hundred times and never have any problems, but a different person would drop either one just a single time and due some serious damage. There are a lot of things that go into the build quality of various devices, and there are a lot of factors in their durability.

And the survivability from a fall will rely greatly on how the phone impacts the ground. My son dropped his S3 from waist level, it landed on the corner and the Gorilla Glass 2 screen cracked at the corner that impacted the ground. The screen is still functional, except for the "spider web" cracks in that corner. This was also the case with CNET's torture test of the Note 2. She dropped it from the seat of a SUV and the bottom edge of the Note 2 impacted the ground, so the bottom half of the screen cracked.

blowabs

Reaction score
Samsung catches a lot of flack for the build quality of their devices, but in my opinion, those attacks are entirely misplaced. I'll agree that something like the MAXX HD definitely feels like it's more substantial and durable in hand, but feel and reality can be two very different things. The materials used for the MAXX HD are very rigid and inflexible. In a drop, that doesn't necessarily protect the device very well because it has no way to absorb or transfer the energy from the fall upon impact. I'm certainly not knocking the build quality of the MAXX HD or of Motorola devices in general. I've owned several, and they're top notch devices in many ways, including build quality.

The plastics used in the S3 and Note 2 not only make the devices lighter, but they also provide far more flex upon impact, which can help absorb the energy. In most drop test videos, you'll also see that the door of the Note 2 and S3 often fly off upon impact. This helps to disperse the energy from the fall instead of keeping it all within the device.

All of that said, in reality the Note 2 is far more durable than it feels to many people. So, I really wouldn't worry about that at all.

so true.
I gues gn2 it is....feb. 22nd cant get here fast enuff now!!:-]
thx a Lot
[plus 56 year old eyes need a big screen-- tired of zooming in allllllll the time]