N1 vs. Droid benchmarks?

natty_lite

Reaction score
on 2.1, my Droid got 20.6 FPS... lower than MT3G and Hero :(
That's very disappointing.
actually it's not. Picking up 6-7 frames will be not such a hard task since 2.1 on rooted Droids is not even remotely optimized for the device...
20 FPS doesn't sound terribly impressive. No way around that. Now if you're saying that this its an optimization issue, then great, I'm more than willing to concede to that since I know little about core optimization and benchmarks.

iPirate

Reaction score
Interesting about no GPU, I missed that tidbit. I'm curious what the Droid does on the 3D Neocore benchmark we've seen the Nexus One run at 26-27fps...

Anyone want to try this? I don't have connectivity at work, so I can't until I get home...

on 2.1, my Droid got 20.6 FPS... lower than MT3G and Hero :(
That's very disappointing.
this is why companies dont like their stuff getting leaked before it should be, people jump to conclusions

justicw

Reaction score
20.7 for me lol If you read the comments everyone that has a droid is getting around 20.6, 20.7 FPS (I got 20.7 sound on or off)

natty_lite

Reaction score
Neocore was made specifically to benchmark Qualcomm chips right? I'm guessing that may be the culprit.

OP
aosman

aosman

Reaction score
Who makes the Droid's CPU anyway? Is it an ARM processor? any one knows what the fabrication process is in nm vs. the Dragon chip in N1? also I am curious to know on the thermal specs of both CPUs...

tktouch12

Reaction score
I'd like to see this also. I'm really curious on the effect of the CPU and how it helps the Droid against the 1 ghz on the n1

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'd like to see this also. I'm really curious on the effect of the CPU and how it helps the Droid against the 1 ghz on the n1
I still think real world testing is needed on a level playing field (2.1) to put this to rest. As one author noted depending one what you are doing one will be better than the other.

Anyway, here's some info I have copied and pasted from a couple sites:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GPU on the OMAP is a PowerVR SGX which performs better than the Snapdragon GPU which is an AMD Z430

Both application processors are cortex a8 based so at 1GHz the snapdragon would be faster and draw more power. On the 3d side the 3430 has a GPU that pushes 18.5M triangles and about 662M pixels per second @ 530MHz the specs on the current snapdragon chipset list 22M triangles and 133M pixels per second. Not sure why the fill rate is so bad on the snapdragon but qualcomm didn't exactly go for 3d muscle in its MSM7500 series either so their GPU may simply be gimped with respect to fill rate. If this is true then the current snapdragon would be better and significantly worse then the OMAP 3430 depending on the application or benchmark.

Elysian

Reaction score
you guys comparing three mytouch/g1 to the droid, keep in mind they're pushing a LOT lower resolution than the droid

that being said, I got 21fps with sound on

gentlefury

Reaction score
you guys comparing three mytouch/g1 to the droid, keep in mind they're pushing a LOT lower resolution than the droid

that being said, I got 21fps with sound on

20.7 as well...obviously all droids will get the same results. I would really like to see this test again when the official 2.1 is released for droid.

I would also like to see 3D games come out that actually use a lower resolution to get faster framerates....while the 480x854 is great, it is overkill. iPhone games at 480x320 look great! Actually if there were a way to lower the overall OS resolution you would be seeing a LOT less choppiness. At iPhone res I am certain it would blow away the iPhone at smoothness AND be able to multi-task. While the higher res creates a sharper image, I think the slowdown is not at all worth it.

I would also love to see a true head to head, iPhone VS Droid with the droid res down cranked to 480x320....and it would be really funny to see the iPhone working 480x854...if the screen could handle it....lol

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still think real world testing is needed on a level playing field (2.1) to put this to rest.
I'd like to see some real world tests. Benchmarking is handy if you want to compare the benchmarking apps on different platforms but not always indicative of real world performance in my experience.