n00b rooting. Questions about ROMs. Bootstrapping. Installing custom themes.

N1nj4Dr01d_X

Reaction score
I have recently rooted my Droid X(used z4root), downloaded astro file manager.

Now I want to start installing roms and custom themes. I've noticed in every thread that there seems to be a lot of bootstrapping. I found an app for this on the market, searched SBF. What else would I need and would the process be any different because I used z4root and astro file manager?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
N1nj4Dr01d_X

N1nj4Dr01d_X

Reaction score
I know that there are a lot of threads with this bring explained, but it doesn't seem that many have the same setup I do.

Just asking for some help, please.

OP
N1nj4Dr01d_X

N1nj4Dr01d_X

Reaction score
and followed "maderschramm"s complete instructions on creating a stable back-up file.

sephtin

Reaction score

Now I want to start installing roms and custom themes. I've noticed in every thread that there seems to be a lot of bootstrapping. I found an app for this on the market, searched SBF. What else would I need and would the process be any different because I used z4root and astro file manager?

The app for bootstrapping the DroidX, is the "Droid X Bootstrapper". If you have a different app for bootstrapping, remove it, and get the Droid X Bootstrapper, and before you do ANYTHING else... reboot into recovery (using the Droid X Bootstrapper app)... then you're 1/2 way to being on a custom ROM.

How you root shouldn't matter. z4 is currently a working method (so good choice. ;) Astro works fine, but is limited in some ways. Currently for root, Root Explorer can remount readonly file systems, which makes it a VERY useful tool for root users. If/when you run across a use for it, you can always pick it up then...

I know that there are a lot of threads with this bring explained, but it doesn't seem that many have the same setup I do.

Just asking for some help, please.

Anything specific about your setup that you are concerned about? What kind of help are you looking for, exactly?

OP
N1nj4Dr01d_X

N1nj4Dr01d_X

Reaction score
I have the droid x bootstrapper from clockworkmod

sephtin

Reaction score
I have the droid x bootstrapper from clockworkmod

That's the one. And sounds like you've got a backup.... You're all set.

Now, pretty much just have to pick a ROM, and follow the directions from the ROMs developer to install it.

GL and HF!

Big Fate

Reaction score
Someones gotta start closing these threads... Read people, its not hard.

You should have the full knowledge of how to root WAY before you even consider downloading apps to root. Because if not, chances are we will you see you back in here with a thread saying "Help, I think I bricked my phone!!"

OP
N1nj4Dr01d_X

N1nj4Dr01d_X

Reaction score
I just wanted to ensure that my process and apps were correct. I'm new to android systems. And all the threads are so deep its kind of hard to find the exact answer I'm looking for.

Say what you want but all I wanted was a little guidance. I'd rather not brick my phone.

Go bash someone elses thread. I even called myself a n00b.

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Hey Fate, guess what? HE said that he read and wanted to be sure he was okay moving forward with his specific situation. Since he's new to android, he wants to be 100 percent sure what hes doing before he does anything so he DOESNT get a brick. There is no such thing as a stupid question ya know? You can read all you want but sometimes you don't feel comfortable until you ask a question yourself and get a specific answer. I just don't understand why people get so upset for people new to the community asking questions. If it bothers you so much, DONT answer.

OP
N1nj4Dr01d_X

N1nj4Dr01d_X

Reaction score
Thank you. And I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.

Just one more question.

once i install the rom, if its no good, i just go back to the bootstrapper and do a "reboot recovery"?

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Make SURE you do a backup inside clockwork BEFORE installing any rom if that wasn't clear. As long as you have that backup you should be safe. If you were to have an error during install, it will tell you. If that happens, immediately goto backup/restore inside clockwork and restore your original backup. However, if you follow the directions closely i am confident you will have no problems. Have fun!

OP
N1nj4Dr01d_X

N1nj4Dr01d_X

Reaction score
Great, thank you for your help. I can't wait to get started!

I've been looking at the different roms and I think I might try the GummyJar 2.0 first.

Big Fate

Reaction score
Hey Fate, guess what? HE said that he read and wanted to be sure he was okay moving forward with his specific situation. Since he's new to android, he wants to be 100 percent sure what hes doing before he does anything so he DOESNT get a brick. There is no such thing as a stupid question ya know? You can read all you want but sometimes you don't feel comfortable until you ask a question yourself and get a specific answer. I just don't understand why people get so upset for people new to the community asking questions. If it bothers you so much, DONT answer.

Everyone starts somewhere and I'm not bashing that, but the most important part is to READ READ READ. If the OP would have read thru the thousands of threads created already on these same subjects his question wouldn't be about Bootstraping. And the fact that the OP already rooted his phone w/out having all the proper apps tells me hes setting himself up for failure.

But since i'm already here, you need to go download "Droid X Bootstrap" its a paid app which you will need. "Root Explorer" is another which most likely you will need, also 'Droid Overclock' if you would like to speed up your phones performance.

The most CRUCIAL thing to remember before installing any ROM/THEME is to make a NANDROID BACKUP. You do this by simply going into Droid X Bootstrap/Hit Bootstrap Recovery/ Hit Reboot Recovery/Scroll down to Backup and Restore using your Volume button, Enter with camera button/Backup.

Once you have done that you are ready to go for a ROM!

Mybad if I was a lil harsh, like I said we all start somewhere. I just hope you got my msg on READING is very important when you modify your phone.