1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

N00b rooting 2.2?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by elyshalynn, Aug 22, 2010.

1. elyshalynn

elyshalynn New Member

So I've never rooted my before, but have been doing a fair amount of research and think I have it figured out (as much as possible without actually DOing it...). I have a few questions that might seem silly but I'd rather feel like a dumbass for a second than **** everything up.

Since everything I've found about rooting, recovery images, ROMS, Nandroids, etc. have been about rooting from 2.1, I was wondering if it was the same process for 2.2? I updated my original Droid via OTA and now want to root for the first time, so does everything still work the same?

I'm also curious to know the difference between SPrecovery and Clockwork? Advantages, disadvantages? Ease of use vs. customization ability? Are these my only options?

Also some information on the best custom ROMS and where to find general information about them would be nice.

2. zakany

zakany New Member

No. Check this thread. Better procedures and files are in the works for phones like yours.

Both replace the stock recovery image. Clockwork works with ROM Manager. I only have uninformed opinions about the two, but I intend to use SPR. My reason for rooting is speed, so I want to make only modest changes to my phone's OS and prefer a more hands-on approach.

To use my desktop as an example, I'm the kind of person who'd rather overclock in BIOS than use nTune to overclock my computer. I usually experience fewer problems than those who choose the black box approach.

I don't mean to disparage anyone from choosing one approach over another. It's a personal choice that has nothing to do with being smart or lazy or what have you.

It would. I'll probably roll my own, to be honest. I want my phone to work better (faster). I think it's pretty enough - just like my wife.