n00b questions: installing BB and custom kernels

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by virtueoftheabsurd, Jun 30, 2010.

1. virtueoftheabsurd

virtueoftheabsurd New Member

I just gained root privileges on my stock 2.1 this afternoon. Now, I'm looking to forward to installing BB v.4 and then figuring out what kernels my droid can handle. I've read all sorts of things in these forums, but I'm basically a n00b, so I have two main multi-questions:

First question: what is the easiest way to install BB? The posted link seems to be in the update.zip format that I used in SPRecovery to get root access earlier today. So can I just rename it update.zip, put it in /sdcard, and install? But I'm coming from 2.1, so do I need to wipe data and cache? How? Do I need to do this 3x? I know that some people use Rom Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery. Is this a different process altogether?

Second question: what is the best way to test kernels? Chevyno1's kernels are very well reviewed, so I'm looking forward to playing around with them. I know that different hardware is different, so if I experience errors, I need higher voltage or lower CPU speed. But what is a boot loop, and how do I avoid it? What battery temperatures should I look out for? Can I use SetCPU on BB, or does Pete's script render it useless?

Thanks for all the help! It's been really fun so far.
  2. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Update via sp recovery delete any previous update file, wipe data and cache 2x at least and the allow update (important) then apply update! That's it:icon_ banana:After that you may kernel shop if you desire:icon_ devil:
  3. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

It can be intimidating at first if you don't know what you're doing but, there are GREAT walkthroughs on here to follow and once you've started installing different ROMs etc, you see that its actually pretty easy. Follow each step exactly as they say and you will be fine! The devs (developers) are a big help too!
  4. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

I've never had a problem using sprecovery. I've tried all these ROMS and never had any issues. I just delete the old update.zip file and put the new file on my sd card and rename it to update.zip. Again, never an issue. From all the reading i've done the people who have the most problems are using ROM Manager and Clockworkmod Recovery.

As for the kernels i haven't had the need to ever change. I'd like to try an ULV one to see if i get better battery life. If you do this let me know what you think. Good luck!
  5. dr0idg0d23

dr0idg0d23 New Member

I guess I can be the one to actually answer your questions.. The easiest way to install BB is by getting rom manager out of the market. You will also find a list of most available kernels within the rom manager downloads section. clockworkmod is the easiest recovery because there is no file renaming which means you dont have to delete each .zip file before installing another and you dont have to rename to update.zip! As far as data wipes go,,,I always do one or two before installing any new roms. some people disagree with me but the reason I do it is because I would rather do a data wipe and know that if that rom doesnt run smoothly that it is the rom and not because I short cutted. That and it really sucks when you run into problems and you find out that after all that work you just did now you have to do it all over again because this rom required a data wipe. and now for the 16 questions in number 2... chevyno1 kernels are really good but so are p3droid. you will find that you will get mixed reviews, everyone has an opinion. The easiest way to swich from kernel to kernel again is with rom manager there are many of them there but not all. even if you cant find the kernel you want right in their download section you will still have an easier time installing it with clockworkmod because again you dont have to rename to update and then delete before you can try another one. also it is usually not required to do a data wipe if the kernel is all you are changing. I use chevyno1 low voltage 1200mhz.

A boot loop is when your phone keeps running the boot animation over and over again. you experience long boot times any time you install something new on the phone. when droid scrolls across your screen that is the start of the boot animation. the start of the boot animation is not when the motorola logo is visible. If you see the red eye and then it goes and scrolls droid across the screen again then back to red eye then droid...ect...ect then that is a boot loop. there is no sure fire way to avoid a boot loop it will inevitably happen sooner or later but that is why you always backup your previous stable configurations before installing new things.

Setcpu is optional but not useless its great that that rom will always seek the highest slot but what happens if your phone is overheating where is the failsafe??? The failsafe is in the profiles section of setcpu thats where. If you activate failsafe profile when your temp reaches the high temp you have specified then it will slow the cpu to whatever you have it set at. my failsafe is anytime I'm running above 145f it cuts my cpu to 400mhz max and 250mhz min. but i have really had no problems with overheating.

Now that I believe I answered all questions I will close with this...You are going to screw up your phone......But, thats okay its how we learn. If you give it time you will figure out what configurations work best for you and keep in mind that droid forums is always here for you. Anytime I have had questions I will post it and have a response within minutes. Enjoy your droid and never return to a lessor os.
  6. seanzy13

seanzy13 New Member

If your using clockwork mod recovery, then I suggest using your computer to download all of ChevyNo1's kernels in the area of speed that you want (download the Ultra low voltage, low voltage, and medium voltage) and place them in a folder on your SD card. Then if you experience a boot loop you can simply boot to recovery after a battery pull and install a higher voltage (or lower clock speed) kernel. If you don't do this prior to experiencing a boot loop, you'll need to access your SD by another means (media card reader) to place a new kernel on it. Its just much easier to do when the phone is working instead of waiting till you experience a problem, that way all your kernels are already on the SD card ready to be installed when you need it.

This only works will clockworkmod recovery because SPrecovery requires you to name it update.zip, clockwork does not.
  7. dr0idg0d23

dr0idg0d23 New Member

100% correct that would be a lot easier. also keep in mind if you do like sp recovery the rommanager application allows you to switch between clockwork and sp with one click so when you are done with all of your updating you can easily go back to sp recovery.
  8. Johnly

Johnly Guest

your the only one:) But why advocate Rom Manager as buggy as it has been?
  9. virtueoftheabsurd

virtueoftheabsurd New Member

This is all fantastic advice. I used ClockworkMod Recovery to put a 1.25 GHz kernel on 2.1, and it runs great! However, it's fairly hot. My failsafe (at CPU temp > 55C/130F) activates during a Quadrant run. What are safe temperatures for battery and CPU failsafes?

Another question: when I wipe my data and cache to upgrade to froyo (3x, I'm told), I'm going to lose all my applications. I have them all backed up in Titanium, so should I just download that from the market, and then use it to restore everything else? I also have backups in Astro...

Thanks, all!
  10. dr0idg0d23

dr0idg0d23 New Member

I would lower your kernel if you are running that hot. 1ghz to 1200mhz is good. also if you update to 2.2 the jit compiler included in that version will help so you wont need to overclock so high.

FRF84B_wBlueEnergy_1200mhz_stable.zip download here: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

the problem with the froyo roms such as BB is they were released to early. the source was not released until last week so all of those roms are written over the original which was leaked and not all that perfect itself. there are to many bugs in my opinion.

as far as refresh rate I am unsure as to what you mean. but I think you are referring to whether I have it set on performance or ondemand or powersave?? if so then I have it set to ondemand with my min and max both at 1200mhz. but I have my failsafe active and then I have my sleep standby active as well to conserve battery. you can set the sleep stanby profile the same as the failsafe. also you can try running a program called auto killer. you can get it from the market for free. open it click on menu then presets then aggressive. click apply. with all this my cpu runs at about 95 to 100f and my phone never lags or reboots or freezes. sorry this isnt very neat but I have been replying to posts all day so I kinda gave up on spelling and proof reading a long time ago.
  11. dr0idg0d23

dr0idg0d23 New Member

not saying you have never had a problem with rom manager but, I can honestly say I haven't