Mystery Motorola Device Pic Leaked; Likely the Moto X Phone XT1056 on Sprint's LTE

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-XT1056-X-phone-Sprint.jpg

The Moto X leaks are coming in fast and furious now, likely signaling an impending launch. The latest intel is a pic of a Sprint based Moto X prototype with the model number XT1056. The specs associated with the leak confirm the mid-range specs we have come to accept for the device.
  • 4.5-4.7-inch 720p display (likely will be the previously rumored 4.7-inch)
  • 1.7 GHz Snapdragon chipset
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • 16 GB Storage
  • Wi-Fi and NFC
  • Android 4.2.2 (with virtually no bloatware nor custom UI overlay)
As you can see from the pic, it definitely is a Motorola device and is very likely a prototype, since it has the usual "Not for Sale" warnings emblazoned on the front. Despite the medium-level specs, for the most part, buzz for the phone is still building. Many folks are starting to realize that cutting edge innards do not necessarily improve the user experience. The teases of software brilliance we have heard from Motorola execs leads us to believe this could be an affordable yet capable device that brings a host of unique features and functions to the table.

We are crossing our fingers it won't be a let down, and suspect we will know something concrete at the beginning of August.

Source: PhoneArena

bigdad63

Reaction score
Okay Motorola, let me make this simple for you. You are completely alienating a segment of your phone buyers. I will not talk about the sub standard camera I will not talk about the lack of a removable battery.I want to talk about on screen buttons. Yes, I realize there are people that don't mind having two stacks of buttons at the bottom of there home screen, or having them potentially interfere with game playing, or don't mind an ugly black bar at the bottom of their screen containing the heretofore mention buttons, but there are some of us who absolutely hate it. Disappearing capacitive buttons are always armed and ready to go. They are then gone after they've done their job without having to ugly stacks of buttons on your home screen. What? You don't want to put capacitive buttons on your phones? Well Mr busy Motorola Developer take a gander at the wave launcher application or Google "pie control". these are both infinitely better choices than the b*** ugly things that you have put on your phones. they are more logical, they are more beautiful, they are more flexible, they are more functional. I am not asking you to stop using the ugly on screen buttons. Why would I take the right away from somebody to uglify their high definition screen with clutter and black bars? I am only asking for the option to turn those nasty things off and use something better. I loved my original droid, I returned my X2 for various reasons, it is now looking like I will never be purchasing another Motorola product again. How sad.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
This....isnt changing my mind about moto at all!

Now if it had a 4.7 1080P screen (like the HTC One)
32GB internal with SD
snapdragon 800 series with adreno 330

Maybe....

Rhino94

Reaction score
Remember this just may be one of several speculated specs all of these specs may not be true and this may be one of the lower end phones and not the top notch phone they will be releasing. So I don't think anyone should get their panties in a twist just yet.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Remember this just may be one of several speculated specs all of these specs may not be true and this may be one of the lower end phones and not the top notch phone they will be releasing. So I don't think anyone should get their panties in a twist just yet.

*untwists panties*
You could be correct. I am hoping moto takes more of an iphone stance and just release like 2-3 devices a year. If it turns out to be a google experience device. I dont see verizon getting any of them. But all of this "locked down" crap could really hurt verizon in the long run.
Im tired of the phone market being flooded with pretty much all the same devices.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
It looks nice but doesn't exactly blow my hair back. Plus without a physical keyboard I'm not sold.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Moto is working toward ala carte prices? We've been talking about that for a few years, and there are rumors they may be headed that direction (albeit limited at first).

That would be huge if they could make the economics/production work. Choose from 3 screen sizes, 2-3 processors, 2-3 ram configs, 16/32/64 gigs of internal storage, 1-2 SD cards...Optional BT keyboard & case.

The first OEM to figure out the made-to-order thing would become the #1 mfr almost overnight.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
*untwists panties*
You could be correct. I am hoping moto takes more of an iphone stance and just release like 2-3 devices a year. If it turns out to be a google experience device. I dont see verizon getting any of them. But all of this "locked down" crap could really hurt verizon in the long run.
Im tired of the phone market being flooded with pretty much all the same devices.

That's been my hope that the locked down phones would hurt Verizon but as long as they continue being the number 1 most reliable carrier with customers who renew every year Verizon has no incentive to change. Verizon has looked us in our eyes and told us over and over again here is how they do business accept it or go somewhere else.

Plus vzw do offer developer phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Plus vzw do offer developer phones.

I don't really understand their logic at this point. They have MAYBE 5M users left on unlimited at this point, and the % of those who rack-up huge data numbers with tether has to be minute. It's not even an "upgrade" issue because VZW isn't making money on phones, and in fact it would be better for them if people can get updates and maybe delay buying the latest subsidized phone.

You would think VZW would welcome phones with updates supported by Google. I wouldn't even think developer phones bought at retail would be all that popular with the masses, and so VZW isn't going to lose money on the bloatware, either.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
You can auto hide the navigation bar buttons in AOKP and other roms BigDad63. I haven't found the pie controls to be that advantageous outside of being a neat idea.

I went from a Droid Bionic to a Galaxy Nexus because of the developer support and full feature sets it offers however, my next phone will be Motorola because nobody can touch there radio and build quality. This phone looks just like a GNex with an "M" in the corner, but that is fine with me since I am 100% happy with that look for a phone. It is natural in the hand and while on the phone.

combatmedic870 has a good point about specs however, many reports have said that this phone is going to be a mid range phone.

The Bionic was locked down yet is has more support/roms available than a lot of other phones that are unlocked. Developer support is what is needed.

I'm still waiting for an aluminum bodied Razr M with a 4000 mAh battery that has is supported by developers.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't really understand their logic at this point. They have MAYBE 5M users left on unlimited at this point, and the % of those who rack-up huge data numbers with tether has to be minute. It's not even an "upgrade" issue because VZW isn't making money on phones, and in fact it would be better for them if people can get updates and maybe delay buying the latest subsidized phone.

You would think VZW would welcome phones with updates supported by Google. I wouldn't even think developer phones bought at retail would be all that popular with the masses, and so VZW isn't going to lose money on the bloatware, either.

It's not as much as tethering as it is about control. They want to control every device on their network. It is why the nexus program failed on Verizon. They wanted to control the experience. Tethering is only a small part of it. Customers in areas where vzw is the only suitable carrier have to choose between connectivity or freedom and many would rather stay connected and seek their freedom through a nexus tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They want to control every device on their network.

Ehhh, when 95% of people run whatever comes out of the box I'm not sure what VZW is really worried about losing control of. I really believe it's just a legacy policy from the tether battle (remember, VZW had Google remove various apps from the app store at one point). That had the potential to hurt the bottom line.

As far as controlling the service experience, so long as the buyer understands Google (and not VZW) is responsible for support it's a minor issue. Although VZW likely has far less tolerance for dealing with people who's phone is performing poorly because they tried to flash a rom or did something they shouldn't with root access.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The only things I can really think of as to why VZW is so tight fisted is NFC and a marketplace for media. They're probably trying to keep their cattle rounded up, and if a financially beneficial opportunity arrives they'll try to use their massive customer base and locked down devices as a bargaining chip to get a bigger piece of the action. They'll try to make it part of the Verizon or Droid "Experience" since they already have the preexisting framework. In their strange little world they believe that they can come up with something so awesome that they'll revolutionize the business and make money hand over fist. In reality, the competition is slowly improving and waiting for their chance to siphon off customers who are looking for a reason to leave.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...they'll try to use their massive customer base and locked down devices as a bargaining chip to get a bigger piece of the action.

That's a great insight. What may have started as concern with tethering transferred over to a piece of the NFC game.

And you are probably right. They kind of caved on tethering, and don't really seem to care too much about it. But they still have their heels dug-in on Google wallet.

Also, the NSA thing was enlightening. Not saying this is coming from the NSA (because other carriers are less strict), but might be something more than just bloatware. Might be about gathering massive amounts of user data (to sell, actually), and for that VZW needs to own the updates. Think about their opt-out policies - does any other carrier come close?