Mysterious Device Now With November 23 Launch date

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if radios are easy to swap out if the phone doesn't have a sim slot for the LTE sim

Dumb question....Would it have to be a separate slot or couldn't LTE just replace the existing slotted for 3G sim?

Reaction score
I understand your point BUT they don't want to lose their existing customers. I work at a bank as a manager and part of my job is to keep existing customers from leaving. If they leave it affects my branches net DDA goal for each week/month/quarter/year. VZW needs a high NET amount of accounts, not just new accounts.

But you're presupposing their current line-up isn't competitive. I believe it is, plus they have the Droid Pro coming out. I seriously doubt they'd lose customers in any significant amount, especially with some killer LTE phones right around the corner.

Not to mention, VZW service is still superior and that is the #1 factor, by far. If it wasn't, people would have left in droves years ago for AT&T's IPhone or more recently Sprint 4G.

Those are all very good points.... However, why would Sprint, ATT, and Tmo customer leave for VZW when they have superior phones than VZW. We want our EVO like device. Sprint customer have it, why would they go to a Droid X? Tmo customer have the G2 and MT4G which are both superior in performance to anything VZW has. ATT has the iphone and we both know how well of a seller that phone is. As far as technology goes, right now VZW is losing the race.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Doesn't matter if radios are easy to swap out if the phone doesn't have a sim slot for the LTE sim

Dumb question....Would it have to be a separate slot or couldn't LTE just replace the existing slotted for 3G sim?
Verizons 3g doesn't use a sim card. So there's nothing to swap.

Sent from somewhere...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
However, why would Sprint, ATT, and Tmo customer leave for VZW when they have superior phones than VZW.

They'll lose some customers who "have to have it" now. The vast majority of customers care about service first and foremost which is why VZW is where it is now to begin with. And when the LTE phones come out VZW will, once again, blow the competition away on BOTH hardware and service. Keep in mind the initial LTE footprint is supposed to cover 2/3 of the population (because they are so concentrated in major cities).

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tease!!!!

Sent from somewhere...

Well if i could I would say.....but I can't so i'll just say :)dancedroid:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

I am not unhappy about all of it :icon_ devil:

sb1831

Reaction score
Now...that would be brilliant marketing...a sure fire way to lock in future iPhone buyers to the Android platform.

But at this point I am more interested in keeping my unlimited 3G data package but on a high end all touch screen device. Either VZW comes through with a device this month when my contract expires or I move onto another carrier. They have messed up other devices with moto blur and Bing. This is their last chance to keep me (and many like me) in the Verizon family.

This had better release the week of Thanksgiving or I am gone.

No offense but I can assure you that Verizon isn't really worried about the end user that is "in the know." For YEARS they've gotten by doing what they're doing now. Market to the masses and get the customer based locked in for 2 years. Probably come March/April or so you'll see another HUGE advertisement campaign for a new phone coming out right around the time when they early upgrade date rolls around for the users of the original Droid.

The spoiled cell phone users on these websites don't make and break companies like Verizon. Typically a person hits their early upgrade date, goes in and looks around or online, if they see something they like they renew if not they wait till the end of the contract and find a phone then. Hell i remember my old provider sending me mail announcing they had phones that could fit in my pocket in the early 90s then again when this new BlackBerry thing came out (seriously never thought that one would take off even though I had one).

Now? I can go into a store (find a phone I want and buy it on contract) if something new comes out in between the time I signed that contract and my eligibility for an upgrade? I buy it too. I'm not about to complain because my cellular provider isn't doing things on MY SCHEDULE. Neither does the rest of the world.

viper1549

Reaction score
Tease!!!!

Sent from somewhere...

Well if i could I would say.....but I can't so i'll just day :)dancedroid:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

I am not unhappy about all of it :icon_ devil:

hey man we got everything we need, all the confusion was coming from the same guy that confirmed they are 2 different devices so its all good in the hood, just keep pushing those VZN guys for some info..

1 more thing, did your NDA have a specific end date on it or no? or can you not say? lol

2005CTS

Reaction score
Sp now there are two devices floating around. Looks like a 3g version and an lte version. Having said that. I still haven't heard back from all of my contacts.

Though i think if it were delayed (and i am not saying it is) i would have been or will be told so. Remeber it's the weekend and lots of people are off. So Monday is still the earliest i think we'll get a definitive answer from them.

Now as far ad i go. I cannot say why only that again there is more behind the scenes then it appears to be

I am anxious to see what you find out on Monday/Tuesday (hopefully not later than that!!!) but I tell you - if Verizon thinks it can keep its customers coming off contracts to stick with them just because of the DINC (getting old) and DX then they are crazy. I know both phones have a loyal fan base - but for many - they just wont due.

If it is delayed...for LTE - then they would be wise to let folks know that it is coming on X date. Saying 1st Quarter 2011 just doesn't cut it. That is a big window to sit around and wait.

By 1st quarter there will be a host of new devices out - some LTE and some not (iPhone4 anyone?) and then of course there is the issue of the competition...Sprint is sure to get a next generation EVO4G in the spring...and they have better pricing and a proven device to build upon.

Verizon would be crazy to hold this back for 2011. I think the idea of releasing a 3G version in November and a LTE version in Feb/March is a better idea. That is essentially what they did with the Droid2 - they released one version and then released a Droid2 Global a few months later.

I really hope they are using the same strategy for this phone. Give the loyal 3G base one last good high end phone now...and then upgrade to LTE in the spring for those that want to or can wait another 4-5 months.

Hopefully you will find out more details and most importantly be able to share them with us soon.

Thanks again for digging into this for us.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
For those of us that don't like motoblur and don't want to root their phone...if this device doesn't go on sale in the next few weeks rather to become an LTE device for 2011 - VZW will offer no really good options.

What about the original incredible, or the samsung fascinate?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

The original incredible is on the small side (for me) at only 3.7" and is an aging device. The samsung fascinate - while it has a beautiful screen - has had issues with GPS and has been binged...which is not an option for me.

Now...if the Fascinate had not been "binged" I would have already upgraded. Many would say that I should root my phone...but I want something that I can get from the manufacturer that has google - hence the requirement for the most current high end Droid...this rumored phone.

If not...I will be leaving Verizon.

Dude I guess you are leaving Verizon because this phone is not coming out this month... I am thinking the 1stQ of 2011... Verizon really do not car if you make a threat like you just made. In my opinion I think you should wait it out you will not regret it.

bd1212

Reaction score
well guys.. i guess you just have to ask.. point proven i think we are safe for Nov 23rd still :p

black_man_x

@viper1549 there is a 3g version. Been in testing for awhile. But why purchase it when the real deal is coming. Radios are easy swap

black_man_x

@viper1549 a 3g evo is a nice device but wld you want it if u knew a 4g version was coming? Its about saving upgrades

Well that clears that up. Thanks viper! Are you all still gonna get the 3g version?

hell ya i cant wait, LTE is no biggy to me i have a D1 i need this device..

You are so right.. I also have the D1... I don't want, I NEED this.

Status
Not open for further replies.