Myriad of Eris ?'s regarding overclocking, 2.2, and home screen issues

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jaitken0308, Aug 9, 2010.

1. jaitken0308

jaitken0308 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this in the Droid Eris section, but I'd like to post it here for added help...

Hi All,

As requested when beginning a post, here are my phone specs:

HTC Droid Eris
    Official OTA 2.1 OS
    Rooted with Jcase's 1-Click Root App (found on XDA)
    SetCPU OC'd to 528 (If that's really considered OC'd)

Now, to my points.

Overclocking

First, I DL'd Overclock Widget. No matter what I set it to, it reverted back to 256 whenever it felt like it. I uninstalled it and found SetCPU - the almost consensus favorite of the forums. I set it to 528 (the max it would allow) when the phone is in use, and set it to 245 when the phone is charging, sleeping, gets too hot, and so on.

From what I've gathered, the "On Demand" and "Performance" settings differ in that "On Demand" toggles between the max and one step below while "Performance" pegs it to the max.

1. Is this accurate?
    I do like this app, but I'd like to push my phone beyond it's stock limitations. From what I've read, my current OS won't allow any clock speed beyond 528 and that I need a custom rom that will allow me to do so.
    1. Do I need to upgrade to 2.2 to push this further, or is there a 2.1 rom that will do the trick?
    2. I want to push my clock speed as far as possible. First, how far is possible (while still being stable)? I've seen some say that 768 is it. Although, I have seen a youtube video of one OC'd to 845.
    This leads me into my next point.

2.2 OS

I've read alot regarding this and have found mixed reviews. Some say that 2.2 is amazing, while some say that 2.2 is too much for the Eris. I know this is purely opinion, and it's hard to expect a subjective answer, but which is it?

1. Will 2.2 work on the Eris? If so, can you point me in the direction of some roms that would work?
    2. Is it too much for the Eris?
    In another direction, the root I used stated that it was only for 2.1.
    1. If I flash a 2.2 rom (or use another 2.1 -if it is possible to load an OS that is that similar to the one I have), will I lose root? If so, is rooting an OS-specific process?
    2. And if so, can you point me in the direction of some rooting files that work with 2.2?
    Home Screen

Months ago, I DL'd Launcher Pro for a home screen app. I liked it, but it was a memory hog so I uninstalled it. Now, I'm left with the option of HTC Sense and Home as my two home screens. Each time I tap the Home button, it gives me the option of choosing either and setting one as the permanent one.
    1. If I select one as the permanent, how can I ever revert back to the other one?
    2. HTC Sense, since rooting, has begun to creep in speed and has forced close several times. Is this a problem with anyone else? Can I remove it?
    3. If I select to use HTC Sense, or Home, will the other one stop running in the background?
    Like I've said, I've read through the forums for some time (and Googled these questions) but haven't found what I've needed. Any help is appreciated.

2. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    As far as overclocking goes, its not the ROM per se that controls how much you can overclock, but rather the kernel. With an appropriate custom kernel, you should be able to clock beyond 528Mhz.

3. jaitken0308

jaitken0308 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Aren't kernels included in a rom when I flash it though, or do I have to do that separately?

#3 jaitken0308, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. Opolis

Opolis New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Kernels are usually included in the rom. You need a kernel that allows overclocking, just the root alone will not allow it. Check out the xda Eris Development forum here. Read about available roms, what they include, and instructions on using them. I chose xtrSENSE 4.5 and it has been great so far, it has a built in overclock that can be turned off if you want to use setCPU instead. Also check out this thread for more Eris overclocking info.
    The xda forums have taken me from complete noob to successfully running my Eris with custom roms and a stable overclock. Read all the info you can find before diving in and you shouldn't have any problems.

edit: didn't notice how old this post was! well, bump if you still need the help i guess

#4 Opolis, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010