1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

My worst nightmare happened today!!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by PhontomF, Mar 18, 2010.

1. PhontomF

PhontomF New Member

Here's a word of caution; don't leave your Droid in your unzipped coat pocket and close the car door with the droid in the way or this will happen to you as well. I feel sick right now.

Is there any way to replace the screen yourself?? I have no insurance so looks like they are going for like $400 on ebay. Oh man this sucks!! :mad::mad::mad:

At least the phone still seems to work perfect until I get a new one.
  2. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad

3. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Some people have claimed to replace the screen, but I think it's all bunk....

I'm sorry to hear and see of your loss...

If you're on the family plan, you can add another line to your account to get an new phone, it'll cost you $200 immediately, and $240 over 2 years, but it beats $600 new in box. You may even be able to score a backup, what with all the promos happening right now.
  4. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

Does the touch sensor still work? I've seen loads of iPhone ppl with working cracked screens
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Real sorry to hear that. Man that really bites. Good luck on the replacement.
  6. PhontomF

PhontomF New Member

Yeah thats $25 with a 2 year contract. Don't need another one of those :icon_eek:

No family plan will probably just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one

Yeah the touch screen still seems to work perfect even in the area toward the speaker where it really got smashed up. But there's no way could I live with it like this permanently.
  7. bd1212

bd1212 New Member

That is the most cool looking broken glass pic of the Droid I've EVER seen.
  8. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Man that sucks, you're the second person today with pics of a smashed droid, and no insurance.
  9. mills

mills New Member

The display itself still displays. Is it just the outer glass cover that's busted? HOw easily is that replaced?
  10. christim

christim Super Moderator

The Droid requires a $30r data plan for each phone on the family plan. 30x24 comes to $720 + the 240 for the extra phone on the family plan so that's $960. Get a phone on sale for 40 bucks and its an even $1000. More if you want insurance in case you slam the phone in a car door.

for PhontomF:
    If the phone works you can keep it as is until you find a cheaper replacement.

ebay trick: search for mispelt werds. "motorla droid", "motorola drod" and the like. Less bidders sometimes. good luck and sorry to see what happeed to you.
  11. christim

christim Super Moderator

12. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Just to clarify, he would use the extra line to get the phone at a discounted price, and then activate it on his own line. He wouldnt need to pay for an extra data plan since his extra line would be tied to a dummy number and a dummy phone. This is how I got my Droid.
  13. christim

christim Super Moderator

If I've got a 2 year commitment on my phone, 555-5555, and I have to pay 70/mo (40 for phone and 30 for data) and I pick up a new phone (444-4444) and add it as a family plan I can drop my original number and dataplan and only pay 10 extra a month and transfer the dataplan to the new line? If it works, great for the customer.
  14. LtKen

LtKen New Member

No, all you're doing is adding another line to your account so you can get a discounted phone, no extra data plans or anything, just a dummy line/number so you can get the subsidized phone cost. You still have to pay for that extra line for 2 years, but $440 over 2 years beats $600 all at once, and you get a brand new phone
  15. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

We added a line to our family plan to get the buy one get one deal, put the voyager on the new line, then gave grandma our Voyager, which we had just replaced one week prior. Now she has a reliable cell and we still have a brand new (warranty replaced) backup for whatever.
  16. PhontomF

PhontomF New Member

That doesn't look too hard. Anyone know where I can buy a replacement touch screen from?
  17. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Ebay is the only place I've seen them sold.
  18. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad

There was a guy who swore he replaced his own about a month ago, but we never saw any proof... He said he found the screen on eBay.
  19. labphoto

labphoto New Member

Hey I don't condone this nor would I do it but, right now Verizon has open enrollment on their insurance plans. You can add insurance to any phone, but will have to wait 30 days to file a claim.
  20. Warweasel

Warweasel New Member

I'm curious; if you bought a Droid on Wirefly or Amazon Wireless, wouldn't it just extend your current contract by two years, starting at that point? I was up for my New Every Two, but I bought mine from Amazon. Verizon is still reflecting that my New Every Two is available. I don't think that it matters if you're up for renewal or not. Worth checking out. Better than $500
Search tags for this page

a855 mol.pdf

glass shattered but displays still work on droid dna