My Wife doesnt need a Data Plan....

ZX-10R

Reaction score
So what can i do, i went to upgrade our phones the other day and noticed almost all Verzions phones need a data plan (the ones she likes)....?? WTF.. My wife dont even have an email address let alone wants to go online on a phone, so she has to be stuck with one of those toy phones they offer w/ no data plan requirement.

Is there anyway around this BS Verizon pulling?
I may end up switching carrires for this reason.

:mad::mad:

Guchi

Reaction score
the new breed of phones use data and it is VZWs way of not having all their customers calling and saying "but i didnt use it so why should i have to pay that".

frbooker87

Reaction score
Switching carriers wont do a thing as most of the high end phones require a data plan especially the smart phones and that's on any carrier. It sucks if you don't want a plan but also if you don't want to use the internet or the stuff smart phones offer there's no reason to get one. I had an env3 before the Droid. Great phone without a data plan.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You said it yourself... "the one's she likes." The carriers have essentially been forced to this. The whole reason they started subsidizing phone costs is because they would make the money back in the service fees. But now a days a LOT of people want a 'cool phone,' EXPECT the carrier to subsidize the price and then don't pay for the premium services (or worse don't pay for the plans, use them and the b!tch about their bill).

You can 'buy' any phone and activate w/o a data package. You just have to pay the FULL price; if you want it subsidized then you have to pay for the data plan. Personally I'm GLAD to see this. Hopefully it will allow the US market to start shifting to a NON-subsidized market (like the rest of the world)... Then we won't have to worry about 2-yr contracts either. Being that all major carriers are going to the same technology for 4G the US market might actually catch up to the rest of the world.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can 'buy' any phone and activate w/o a data package. You just have to pay the FULL price; if you want it subsidized then you have to pay for the data plan.
Just to clarify, if you buy a data phone/Blackberry/Android and activate it on VZW, you'll be required to have a data plan, whether you bought it full retail or subsidized pricing. Now, if you get a data phone introduced to VZW prior to November 2008, it can be activated without a data plan. This does not apply to Blackberry - no matter how old it is, the BB plan is required.

If your wife wants a phone that requires a data plan, but would never use the features, then it's not the phone she wants then.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can 'buy' any phone and activate w/o a data package. You just have to pay the FULL price; if you want it subsidized then you have to pay for the data plan.
Just to clarify, if you buy a data phone/Blackberry/Android and activate it on VZW, you'll be required to have a data plan, whether you bought it full retail or subsidized pricing. Now, if you get a data phone introduced to VZW prior to November 2008, it can be activated without a data plan. This does not apply to Blackberry - no matter how old it is, the BB plan is required.

If your wife wants a phone that requires a data plan, but would never use the features, then it's not the phone she wants then.

My understanding after talking with the manager from the local store is that only applies to phone you buy 'from' VZW. Any phone you 'come in with' is not required to have. So the OP can buy a phone online (for cheaper than at the store) and activate it accordingly. This is likely to vary from location so he check with his local store first.

Edmvr6

Reaction score
No data plan no Droid plain and simple... why get a phone like this if ur not gonna use it properly? For that get a simple old school flip phone just to make calls

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No data plan no Droid plain and simple... why get a phone like this if ur not gonna use it properly? For that get a simple old school flip phone just to make calls

Thank you for contributing w/o reading all the posts... this wasn't about using the Droid w/o a data plan. The OP is trying to find a semi-smart (media enabled type) device for his wife and not wanting a data-plan. But thanks.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

My understanding after talking with the manager from the local store is that only applies to phone you buy 'from' VZW. Any phone you 'come in with' is not required to have. So the OP can buy a phone online (for cheaper than at the store) and activate it accordingly. This is likely to vary from location so he check with his local store first.

that manager gave you bad information. as soon as a smartphone/pda/blackberry ETC is activated on the verizon network reguardless of where the phone came from the system will automatically add the required data plan. The only way to remove the data plan is to change to a phone that does not reqire one.

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

For about 3 years I used to sit behind the screen at a VZW call center. I am 100% positive, beyond a shadow of a doubt that a Droid, whether purchased from eBay, Craigslist, privately or full price or from a VZW store, it physically cannot activate on a VZW account without the data plan. Believe me, I'm talking from experience. Same goes for any BB or Smartphone, except for a smartphone that was introduced on VZW before November 15, 2008.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you're looking for a nice phone that's semi-smart and doesn't REQUIRE a data plan...pm me... i have an LG dare just sitting in my drawer.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you're looking for a nice phone that's semi-smart and doesn't REQUIRE a data plan...pm me... i have an LG dare just sitting in my drawer.

Did you ever consider selling it on eBay? You might be surprised how much you get and could use towards your Android phone.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yah they still go for around $100 plus i have 3 carrier thingys .... maybe he's interested in some sort of trade! who knows...he might be genius and willing to chat/walk me thru puttin that smoked thing on my droid. i don't dare attempt it alone :( i'm too scared.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Did you ever consider selling it on eBay? You might be surprised how much you get and could use towards your Android phone.

I should really put my Blackberry Storm up on eBay. Think I could get 100.00 for it? It's just collecting dust on my bureau.

To stay on topic I know some companies allow you to use some smart phones without a data plan. Isn't it that they use EDGE instead? Heck, I'm not certain I just remember seeing people with Blackberry Storms who did not have data plans in Crackberry.