My Unfortunate Droid Story

Reaction score
On April 2, 2011 i switched from Tmobile over to Verizon. My dad got the Droid X and then switched to the HTC Thunderbolt (not gonna get into that story) and i got the Droid 2 Global. While in the store we got my D2G programmed successfully, and then i noticed the Home key was not working whatsoever. This was after being there for an hour or so getting the account and everything setup for both lines. So then i had to wait another hour or two for them to go to another Verizon store in the are to get a different D2G for me to use. This one was working fine. Then between April 5-7, 2011 my phone started to have 3G connection issues. I would randomly lose my 3G connection for hours at a time, but was able to make calls just fine. After several Factory Data Restets, Reprogramming, and Master Resets, on April 7th a Verizon rep ordered a replacement phone, making this replacement number 1. Phone worked fine for a while. Then on May 21, 2011 the battery charging port had stopped working. I took the device to the Verizon store, and they had ordered me a replacement phone and gave me an old LG phone to use while waiting for the device to be shipped to my house. And then i got that phone setup, making it Replacement number 2. It is now July 31, and for over a month i have yet again been having 3G connection issues. From this it can be said that it is the phone model itself that is having issues. A ticket has been issued as of earlier today in which will go to show what exactly is the cause. But in the meantime, a Verizon Rep told me that if my account history was good meaning no late payments or anything like that then there would be a chance of them sending me a different model, the Droid 3 if there manager or whomever approved of it. The only thing id have to do is purchase a battery for the device and chargers. Then shortly after this call, the rep that issued the ticket said it wouldnt be possible for that to happen at all. The thing i dont get is why they would continue to send the same model phone to me, if i am having the same problem repeatedly. So my question for you is, should i call Motorola in the morning to deal with this, or is there another solution i should try?

P.S. i have tried multiple roms and the stock rom while rooted has been getting the best signal for me. Thought that might help a bit to know.

maxwellag

Reaction score
Call verizon and motorola. Complain atleast on/a daily basis. Eventually one will send you a droid 3.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
ask for a supervisor right from the start, dealing with phone grunts... that will give you only a headache. be polite and explain the issue ( if they already haven't read the comments on the account ) i dont think Motorola is gonna do a whole lot, since they arent gonna send you the phone directly. Verizon will be the mule that you have to deal with.

jleeusa

Reaction score
Has it dawned on you that the problem is in the ROMS? My og droid is rooted, I have issues losing 3G after a call from time to time. I deal with it. Its not Verizons or Motorolas fault that some ROMS don't work perfectly on your ROOTED phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has it dawned on you that the problem is in the ROMS? My og droid is rooted, I have issues losing 3G after a call from time to time. I deal with it. Its not Verizons or Motorolas fault that some ROMS don't work perfectly on your ROOTED phone.

Considering both my X's have had issues with the stock ROM and custom ROMs helped with my data loss issue, I don't see how you can make that statement.

The OP also stated that he still has issues on the stock ROM, just not as bad.

CM74DX

jleeusa

Reaction score
My wifes X (not rooted) has the same after the recent OTA. So I know that its not solely a custom rom issue. But, if customers are going to root their phones, have issues and expect verizon/motorola to just give them a new phone and an upgrade at that, we will all suffer. If a completely stock phone has issues by all means use the warranty or insurance. But if you rooted you knew this risks. Look around the forums a bit, this is a big issue with a lot of members. Furthermore look around for some solutions.

OP
R
Reaction score

Considering both my X's have had issues with the stock ROM and custom ROMs helped with my data loss issue, I don't see how you can make that statement.

The OP also stated that he still has issues on the stock ROM, just not as bad.

CM74DX
It is not possible that it is a ROM issue. I have tried AngelRom, Liberty, Liberty 2.0, and several other ROMs. And not one of them made a better impact on my connection, it actually made the connection worse. That is why on this phone i have only rooted, and have not put a custom rom or anything on it.

Regarding the other comments, Ive contacted both Motorola and Asurion about the issue and they both cannot do anything about it. Ive spoken with multiple representatives from each company and neither company could help with the issues. So, I went back to talking with Verizon representatives about the issues. Early today, i explained my situation to a lower level rep, for the 100th time, and she connected me to a 2nd level rep, and then that rep connected me to the highest level rep. I had explained the situation again to this higher rep, and he had some things to solve it. He had me turn off the phone while he rerouted the network connection on my phone, and also did a few other updates. He stated that if the problem continues to happen thereafter, he will check all other troubleshooting steps and if nothing happens, i well get another replacement phone.

The rep i talked to 2 days ago was telling me that since i have perfect account history meaning no late payments, etc, and that both lines on the account have had so many problems it would be slightly possible to get a Droid 3 as a replacement rather than another D2G. The only thing id have to buy is the battery, chargers, and possibly a battery cover.

I explained what that rep said to me to the higher level rep i spoke to earlier today and he is contacting that rep via email to see exactly whats going on. It was probably an offer the rep himself had offered, not Verizon Tech Support itself.

So there is a chance that i may get the Droid 3, then again i might not. But if the next replacement has these same issues, theres gonna be a lot of problems for them.

Thank you all for your replies to the thread.