My Text Messages Gone

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Okay here is my two cents............. First ditch the task killer. I know Verizon says its good and all that yada yada, but in my experience the task killers have created conflicts internally with other apps. Also because a task killer is basically running all the time its killing your battery life. The Droid is set up in a way that a task killer is really not necessary.

Second.... ditch the stock messaging app. Again in my experience the stock app has had a lot of issues. I personally use Handcent but I know that others have used Chomp and love that as well. I do not have any troubles with my text messages dissappearing even after an update. Search the market for replacement text messaging apps, read the comments on each before you take my word for it or anyone elses word. Once you read the comments then you can decide if that is the replacement app for you. Keep in mind that a lot of the comments are psoted by users who are unhappy so they may be a bit slanted.

Hope this helps.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Yeah, so this is truly an odd problem. I can't think of any explanation as to why you cant find Handcent in the market after taking these steps... o_O

I digress...
I've talked with other chomp users, and thats a good alternative also IMO.

If your really wanting handcent though, heres another avenue you could take (if your sitting still, lol)

DL the Handcent APK from the internet and install it to your phone that way.

You can find the handcent .apk through google, or you can just follow this link:
Android Handcent SMS 3.0 | Download Android Application

And the steps that your going to need to take to install it are right here:
How to Install Non-Market .apk Apps on Android G1 Phone .Apk on g1

Hope I've been some help! :)

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
The day I went out to figure out an app. I bought and could not was very humbling for me because the designers page turns out was written in Chinese. First dork to self moment I had with my droid.....so I am an over analyzer of applications.

So I am sitting here seeing I am being told my messenger is likely my problem with the wicked odd happenings with my Droid. Can I just say I am weary when a new application is in market Called ummmm bluetooth share and that for someone who never leaves bluetooth on I felt a little invaded when it kept turning on and my battery drained like it did. I near wish I could go in airplane mode LIKE I did when I was in Europe, but the family was seperate this trip and I could not.......and admittedly today was a full day for me at home and I am perplexed while hammering this post out on the droid, task killers going why my screen will not sit still to type this message...more is going on with my droid than time can afford here, but I am game to try anything if this stops......so pardon typos and I always listen to advice.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Your messenging app is more than likely the cause of your messages disappearing. I didn't know you where having screen problems too?

Feel free to PM me if you need some one on one in depth help, I've got spare time tonight so I'll be lurking around the forums for a while.

onmyway

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G N 4
Sorry, missed an opportunity and so very appreciate your offer. I take my Fourth of July serious. My Dad, Vietnam.... two tours, combat wounded, point, trained me right about the price and value of my freedom......we are still smiling today, so we enjoyed our time and day off with family and friends........it was a near droid and text free day....it charged in its cradle all day....Two sinks full of dishes, one airbender movie, and ten baskets of clean clothes to put away.....I will resurface by days end. I will fire up the laptop and shoot the details of this current odd glitch. Went surfing for new msgr app. and am sure I will follow your advice to download handsent.

onmyway

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G N 4
I took off old school dialer today, out side of its old school dialer sms string working in the background, and I never saw that before, things seemed to calm down. W.T.H.? disappointed, sad, frustrated

Nobodys been called while the phone is locked, the ghost effect is not happening on the post window while typing this message....I can actually see where I am typing and the screen moves with the input of letters. Wow. I hope can report it stays this way.