My tale of 4g connection woe

Reaction score
I started with a Bionic in September- great phone until the earpiece went out.

I got a warranty replacement in May. Worked great for about a week. Then all of a sudden 4g data drops not connecting etc et cetc. Vzw had me call tech support and changed the SIM which did NO good- so I thought it was the phone. About a week after the sim was changed the phone DIED just quit working.

Go to store they futz around and finally order me overnight ANOTHER Bionic. Out of the box it had the same problem. I give it 3 weeks just incase it's something going on in the area etc combined with going to the store and them doing a software update on it. No dice.

Called Saturday to change models, which I did to the Rezound.

Received today.

SAME PROBLEM. Will not hold a 4g Data connection. Other 4g phones around are not having trouble so obviously it is me.

I'm about fed up with Verizon on this. The only thing they did do right in this model swap was send me an Extended Battery- which I'm not sure I want cause it is HUGE. No new charger (motorola charger is not giving it enough juice), it's been on charge since noon and not at 50% and ive not used it much at all....I've pulled the sim card. restarted and the restarted with the sim card. No dice.

Is this seriously a buggy phone too? I had the original incredible and that phone is still chugging along just fine on a friends account with NO problems.... I had faith- I love the phone except well, 4g doesnt stay connected....

huskur

Reaction score
Are you running the same apps as the previous phones? It may very well be a app that is killing the data and making it drop. Get the app from the market (play store) called "air push detector" and run it. If it finds ANYTHING then uninstall those apps and report back. (after uninstalling, reboot the phone)

I had a very similar issue to yours and it was an app that was causing it. Mine happened to be a battery monitoring app call "battery X2"

(you have ruled out the device since you have had so many most likely)

OP
O
Reaction score
No installed notification apps detected. I just now pulled battery, pulled sim card.. held down power.. put it all back together.. 10 minutes I've held a connection.. I'm about to brave and launch facebook and see how that goes... that's one that kills the connection it seems...

huskur

Reaction score
No installed notification apps detected. I just now pulled battery, pulled sim card.. held down power.. put it all back together.. 10 minutes I've held a connection.. I'm about to brave and launch facebook and see how that goes... that's one that kills the connection it seems...

Sometimes facebook will make my data drop also so don't feel bad. Are you in a 4G (true) area or a 4G extended area. 4G extended areas, you will switch back and forth depending on conditions and placement.

OP
O
Reaction score
Nope. True 4G Strong service area.. Like I said my original Bionic was great.

Since I reset my phone it seems t be ok.. here is hoping..

indee2025

Reaction score
And no dice. Still dropping 4g.

If other devices running 4G on Verizon are around you working just fine and your device isn't it is most likely an app you have that is causing the issue. It is highly unlikely after so many replacements the issue is the devices...it is more likely that restoring the information from your previous devices that failed has carried along the issue to your new device. I've owned both the Bionic & the Rezound & I'm also in a strong 4G city...the Bionic had severe 4G drop outs here and the Rezound doesn't....the RZ has one of the best radios out there so I'm thinking an app is causing mischief....you will have to go through your settings to find out....additionally, are your settings allowing it to search for wifi and hop on a connection when available, some settings wreck havoc with each other, you're really going to have to go through your apps & device settings a fine tooth comb...

OP
O
Reaction score
I keep WiFi off unless I need it. I cannot imagine what app it could be considering it started as I first logged into the store this time.