My story with Verizon: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Beardface

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with Verizon before I got my Droid. I had the LG Voyager, and the software on the thing just started to go haywire on it about 6-8 months after I got it. Touch screen would register I was hitting a button 2 spots away from where I was really pressing. So I took it back and they sent me a CLN Replacement. The phone I got was worse than the one they replaced. It had actual hardware problems where the screen was only half working, and the same software issues were present. So I got it replaced again. All of this is within a week, mind you. The CLN replacement they sent... yep... Even more bugs.

So I went back to Verizon and they said, well, we can send you another one... I looked at them like they were crazy. I had it replaced 2 times in 1 week already and you want to replace it again? Screw that, so I went with the Droid and never regretted it. But even still, thats just awful customer service.

I've never heard anyone who has had a good experience with a Certified Like New device. Seems that every single one they send out is a complete dud. Yes, I realize the reasons they have them to begin with are because they are buggy, but they must have some absolutely atrocious Quality Control if these duds are constantly getting sent back out.

carlismith123

Reaction score
I'm beginning to see a pattern here. The problem doesn't seem to be with VZW Customer Service, so much as it is with CLN products. I too have a CLN replacement OG Droid after I decided to let it take a swim (oops :/), then I got the replacement phone and it worked fine for a while then the on/off button decided to stop working properly (it's like a tempermental diva, you just have to push it just right, then it'll go off), well (I am a colleg student and thus still (regrettedly) leaching off of my parents whose name the contract is under) when I went to the Verizon store to get another replacement phone, they said I would have to deal with the company that provided my actual replacement, as it was their issue. Well, by this time, I was not at home with my parents anymore as the blissful winter break had concluded, thus my father could not talk to them for me because he didn't know the details. Well, whenever I tried to call and get a replacement from the replacement company they put me on hold for about 20 minutes (although with decent hold music) thn after FINALLY getting to speak to someone they said that since it wasn't under my name, they couldn't do anything. Well, by the time I could get around to getting back home to have my father deal with it, my 90 day warranty on the replacement was up. Needless to say, I am currently sliding my phone open every time I want the screen to turn on. Not VZW's fault persay, other than that they are the one's who made the choice to use this replacement company. :/ Oh well.

jayman350

Reaction score
I am on replacement droid #3, my original one had headphone jack issues after 10 months or so. First replacement would not charge after about a week. Second one had the same headphone jack issues as my original. #3 has been going strong for about 2 months now.

The customer service reps must know whats going on with the CLNR phones b/c its not like its one or two people that have these issues. I would be interested in hearing how many people have been able to stick with the original phone that they purchased, and not a replacement. There seems to be little to no refurbishing going on with the CLNR phones.

gsdreams

Reaction score
From a Technical Support side I will tell you I have helped more people who are on there original phone than those that have been sent replacements.

Personally I'm on my 3rd phone, but that is over a 8 month period and one of them was my fault (long story but was still warrantied out).

Some people have good luck with replacements others have bad.

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
Twitter
@healthymommy13
My husband and I both have CLN DROID X's and haven't had a problem yet...now the samsung fascinates we had before these? Went through 4 within a month until they let is choose a different phone. Haven't regretted it since!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gsdreams

Reaction score
My husband and I both have CLN DROID X's and haven't had a problem yet...now the samsung fascinates we had before these? Went through 4 within a month until they let is choose a different phone. Haven't regretted it since!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

As I said, sometimes it is just bad luck. :) Glad you got a good working set of phones.

I will say the fascinates had major software issues in the beginning. I don't know now since I haven't had any real calls on the 2.2 other than customers needing to factory reset there device because of the update.

Beardface

Reaction score
I am on replacement droid #3, my original one had headphone jack issues after 10 months or so. First replacement would not charge after about a week. Second one had the same headphone jack issues as my original. #3 has been going strong for about 2 months now.

The customer service reps must know whats going on with the CLNR phones b/c its not like its one or two people that have these issues. I would be interested in hearing how many people have been able to stick with the original phone that they purchased, and not a replacement. There seems to be little to no refurbishing going on with the CLNR phones.
The headphone jack is a problem that will plague all Moto devices until they figure out a way to not use a coil as a connector. It just begs to break. Mine broke about 6 months into using the phone, but since I had such awful experience with my last CLN replacement endeavor, I decided to just suck it up and not worry about it. Then the coupling for the power button decided to break. That was fun, but I found ways around it. Other than those 2 things, I never had a problem with the old Droid.

But yeah, the CLN devices are broken phones they are supposedly 'refurbishing'. And by 'refurbishing', I mean making the shell look good again and then sending it back out. Little to no work is done on the inside, so if you got one that was replaced for something internally, you'll be replacing it very quick.

gsdreams

Reaction score

The headphone jack is a problem that will plague all Moto devices until they figure out a way to not use a coil as a connector. It just begs to break. Mine broke about 6 months into using the phone, but since I had such awful experience with my last CLN replacement endeavor, I decided to just suck it up and not worry about it. Then the coupling for the power button decided to break. That was fun, but I found ways around it. Other than those 2 things, I never had a problem with the old Droid.

But yeah, the CLN devices are broken phones they are supposedly 'refurbishing'. And by 'refurbishing', I mean making the shell look good again and then sending it back out. Little to no work is done on the inside, so if you got one that was replaced for something internally, you'll be replacing it very quick.

Actually, refurbished phones now are much more strict than they used to be due to an issue that occured with Sprint. Sprint sent out a few phones that had only part of the problem fixed. The phones ended up getting hot to the point of burning people (can't remember which phones but it should be somewhere on google).

Due to this the FCC stepped in and now if a phone goes back with an LCD problem and 1 wire is found bad they can't replace just that wire, they have to replace the entire LCD. If it goes back and they find a problem w/ the CPU or RAM they can't just replace that chip, they have to replace the entire board.

This is good and bad. It's good because entire parts are being replaced, but it also leads to the same quality issues that can be seen on new phones from any manufacturer. Instead of getting a phone that was sent back with a bad RAM chip and having that chip replaced, meaning you are getting a phone that had the actual problem on the board replaced, you are getting an entirely new board that could have the same chip issue.

smd12

Reaction score
let me say this as i forgot to say in my previous post tech support for the most part with vzw has been really good. some of the people are just reading from script and i suggest hanging up on them and recalling lol...

anyway i sent another email and finally customer service said my account will be credited within the next 2 days since its the wknd hopefully by monday...but no word of my original contract date being reinstated. which i am sure will be another fight.

time for a small rant...i'm kinda of tired of the whole smart phone thing. i think i'm going to go back to a rotary phone and/or telegraph. and while i'm at it forget email i'm going to start sending people hand written letters.

old school FTW :D

sslogic

Reaction score
From a hardware perspective there are the contacts for music in the plus right + left + and a common negative, is there another contact to make it freak out when you wiggle the cable, how does this work so I can make it not work?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums