My story with Verizon: The good, the bad, and the ugly

lerit50

Reaction score
Ok so, let's start from the beginning. I recently went on vacation to mexico and brought along my OG Droid. This had been my 3rd replacement phone, as my first 3 Droids all had keyboard problems.

Up until this point, I had had no problems with this droid, and have had it since November of '10.

That is, until, I came back from Mexico and I started receiving the same keyboard problem (where I would type a letter, either 3 letters would show up or no letters would show up at all.)

JUST PERFECT. So I decided to do a little research before running to verizon, and saw that I could possibly squeeze out an upgrade from them.

So I called, and was told that my 1 year warranty had expired, and the 90 day warranty from the refurb device had as well. Crap. I was given an option to either take an upgrade from another line on my plan or get a upgraded "like-new" device for a discount. I didn't want to pay anything so I didn't budge.

Well luckily, I was able to negotiate a like-new OG droid out of them. Big red overnighted it to me the next day. This was on monday.

I am still stuck with the same phone. Why you ask? Let me explain.

Tuesday came, and when I arrived home found a slip from fedex saying I needed to sign for the package before it was just dropped off. I signed the slip, left it on the door and waited another day.

Wednesday: came home to the package, fired the phone up, activated it and the whole nine. Everything worked great. But.

The screen would take what seemed like forever to turn on. In reality it only took 4 seconds or so, but clearly this is not okay.

I then switch back to my other phone because, although I can deal with a faulty keyboard, I can't deal with that kind of delay everytime I turn on my phone.

As of now, this replacement is sitting on my counter. Waiting to be shipped back.

So I call up verizon again and explain my problem and get sent over to tech support.

THANK GOD I got a vzw tech with some kind of sense of customer care. I explained how I've had so much trouble with my droids and went on a guilt trip blah blah blah. But at first it seemed like a dead end.

She offered me the same offer as the tech before. I pushed it this time, saying something like "oh, well since I've had just bad luck with this phone and i've been such a loyal customer, I was wondering if there's any other options. Possibly moving on to a Droid 2 or incredible for free?"

It worked. She asked me which one I wanted and chose the Droid 2. I was so happy because I really just wanted something new to play with.

Got overnight shipping on it and was very excited for it to come.

Thursday came; excited, I rip open the package. But guess what I see. A FREAKING DROID 1 instead.

This phone is still sitting in wrapping and everything on my counter as well.

I immediately call up verizon and wonder whats happening. They apologize for the mix up, keep me on the phone for 30 min, and end up giving me an extended battery for free.

Now I'm waiting for this to arrive.

Anybody else have troubles like this with verizon?

smd12

Reaction score
i sent my droid x back to vzw and the fedex tracking said the package was signed for on March 30. I was told i would get a full credit and my original contract date reinstated. I never got the confirmation txt from vzw so i called customer service. I was told it takes time...I called again a week later same story. I finally sent an email via the vzw.com saying i have been a loyal customer for years and never had a problem with a phone until i got my droid...and ever since vzw got the iphone customer service got bad...

So i got an email and a call from customer support saying within 24 hrs they'll find out what's going on... as well as kissing my butt. It's now been 10 days since i sent email and still nothing.

verizon is a joke and i doubt i will sign another contract with them. i will certainly won't ever buy anything from motorola again and told a coworker NOT to buy the xoom cuz moto is not good.

the worst thing to ever happen to verizon customers is getting vzw getting the iphone. everything changed the moment the iphone news broke.

:icon_evil:

Edited for avoiding swear filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow. You mean providing additional service above and beyond what you're entitltled to? Yes, I've experienced this many times from Verizon. But I never played it out to sound like I was victimized.

OP, you have an entitlement issue.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say every VZ CS expeierence ive had i seem to be very happy. They really try to help... At least for me. I havent had too many problems. And SMD, Maybe you should call and check? Im sure their not intentionally trying to keep you uninformed.

CR4V3

Reaction score
I had an issue when I had my OG Droid, VZW sent me a replacement phone which had dead pixels on the screen. I lived with it for a little while then one day got fed up and called them. They happily replaced the phone. The only problem was the replacement slide mechanism. I called them and they sent out a replacement, but that was even worse.

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone but I got them to give me a Dinc as a replacement. I was pretty happy with their actions. Try not to be so hard them dude, at least they're replacing it and not stonewalling you.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I wouldn't say there's an entitlement issue (because that's a character issue and that can't be judged one someone you don't know).

I will say, however, that you got a really good deal. If you have to jump through a few hoops, big deal.

OP
L

lerit50

Reaction score
Sorry I wrote this up to vent frustration. I meant to put more shame on the replacement crappyness than the customer service I received. I'm very grateful to be getting a d2

Sent from my OG

CR4V3

Reaction score
Sorry I wrote this up to vent frustration. I meant to put more shame on the replacement crappyness than the customer service I received. I'm very grateful to be getting a d2

Sent from my OG

There does seem to be something lacking with their CLN replacements. I definitely wouldn't call the Druids I got "like new".

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I kept getting my OG droid replaced cuz there was always something wrong with it. I received up to 8 replacements until a tech @ a store tried to sbf my phone and briked it lol she was so scared n didn't know what to do. I knew exactly how to fix it but I let them handle it but they couldn't get it to work so I told them I wanted a free upgrade or early contract termination wit no fee. I got a brand new D2 wit a brand new back cover n extended battery. My wife also had problems wit her OG so I called and told them my story n the tech was the one who suggested getting her a D2 also so I took it. Now we both have D2s. But these phone still have problems so I guess were switching to HTC I've heard wonders.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

googlelover

Reaction score

Sent from my OG

There does seem to be something lacking with their CLN replacements. I definitely wouldn't call the Druids I got "like new".

I wish verizon would send me like new Druids instead of a like new phone.... haha, but my experiences with the replacement phones they send are roughly the same with all phones I've had with them, first 2 always have some kind of problem with them, then the third will hold up for a few months before it starts to have a few problems. My current CLN Droid works great, love it, but its headphone jack is slowly starting to die. I would have replaced this one already, but I'd rather carry around an Ipod (oh god! apple!!) nano then deal with their hit and miss replacements.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Ummm having issues with a phone replacement's hardware doesn't fall under customer service but rather quality control.

Allow me to illustrate the difference with the take of why Sprint is dead to me.
After having a phone of theirs, back in the day, that suddenly stopped bring able to recharge.
I took it to the store and eventually someone took a look at it and informed me that the issue was the pins in the slot on the phone would no longer correctly connect to the male charger part.
I asked for a replacement due to faulty hardware and was informed that this wasn't an option as the damage was my fault.
My fault? How?
They told me this occurs for some over the course of time, and it was sure to plugging the phone in too much.
I was stupified, plugging the phone in too much? Is that a real thing? The guy said I'd have to buy a new phone. So I asked for the manager and figured this could all be worked out.
The manager began parroting what was beginning to seem like the company line.
I asked if we could sit down for a moment. I then questioned again if he stood by the plugging the phone in too much excuse and he said, "yes".
So I posed the following, was he aware of anyone having to buy a new car because they had put the gas station nozzle in the gas tank too much?
crickets...
So I followed up by asking if it was his car in that scenario, would he buy another from the same car company?
crickets...
So I requested one more time for a replacement and again was told there was nothing Sprint could do.
I placed the pieces of garbage on the table, spun on my heels and never looked back.
And life has been all the better ever since.

That, is bad customer service.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

CR4V3

Reaction score

Sent from my OG

I wish verizon would send me like new Druids instead of a like new phone.... haha, but my experiences with the replacement phones they send are roughly the same with all phones I've had with them, first 2 always have some kind of problem with them, then the third will hold up for a few months before it starts to have a few problems. My current CLN Droid works great, love it, but its headphone jack is slowly starting to die. I would have replaced this one already, but I'd rather carry around an Ipod (oh god! apple!!) nano then deal with their hit and miss replacements.

Haha, that's what I get for posting late at night!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Wow. You mean providing additional service above and beyond what you're entitltled to? Yes, I've experienced this many times from Verizon. But I never played it out to sound like I was victimized.

OP, you have an entitlement issue.

Entitilement issue? I would expect more than that as a comment from a mod. The OP lists a ton of issues. I believe he is entitled to what he paid for... a working phone. After issues, he was promised an upgrade as mea culpa for all of the issues. I believe the OP is entitled to what he was promised. I believe VZW's top brass would feel the same way. Most people do not judge a company on issues, we all are human and make mistakes. But they judge on how the company reacts to the issues and what they do to resolve them.

littlerick

Reaction score
i dont understand why people feel they should get upgrades without paying for them. i paid full price for my og droid, my droid x and my iphone (i'm saving my upgrade for the next round of droids). if you want something new to play with then you have to pay to play. also if you are out of warranty then why expect anything? like the car analogy, if your cars warranty is up then its up and you shouldnt expect something for free.